Unknown larvae

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leonardturner

Unknown larvae

Post by leonardturner »

_DSC6891WWDen.jpg
Labophot, Nikon plan 2, .05; diffused strobe, Nikon 850, single image

These are growing and feeding in great profusion in one of two adjacent small bog gardens in standing water. Thinking at first they were the usual constantly wriggling mosquito larvae, I treated them to a generous dose of fresh B. Thuringiensis, with no result. They grew larger, into the range of 2-3 mm. A closer examination revealed a constantly moving and feeding organism, capable of climbing out of the well on a microscope slide, over the side, and moving underneath the slide. Isolation in a smaller container (as this example) eventually proved lethal, probably because of absence of adequate food supply.

Photography was difficult because of constant vigorous movement, and stacking was out of the question. I finally resorted to use a pair of small strobes, moving the stage with one hand and firing the camera with the other when I could get the whole organism in the field for a moment, hoping that the preset focus would work, and shot a large number of exposures. Not a great image, but this does show some detail, including what appears to be a clean digestive tract. Fragile oval transparent wing-like structures near the tail end (lower left corner here) were also seen on occasion, whether intermittently deployed or just not visible in all orientations I can not say.

I have been unable to find any identification on web sources, but believe it must be pretty common nevertheless.

I would appreciate help with identification, and any suggestions for a better approach to photography.

Thanks,

Leonard

NikonUser

Re: Unknown larvae

Post by NikonUser »

Nice image, but unfortunately difficult to positively ID.
My guess is some type of fly larva (Diptera). Perhaps you can isolate a few in a vial and see what emerges!
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

leonardturner

Re: Unknown larvae

Post by leonardturner »

My thanks for your reply. I am continuing to keep an eye on this group!

Leonard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic