Salt, 100x

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Salt, 100x

Post by Cyclops »

I just love playing with darkfield
I just wish sometimes I didn't get circular images. But then again I think it's not that much of an issue. Image
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I just wish sometimes I didn't get circular images.
Can you zoom the camera?

If not that, then of course you can crop to rectangular. That's what "real" camera interfaces do anyway.

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I just wish sometimes I didn't get circular images
You need to use a longer focal lens. What camera and lens do you use?

You can also improve dark field illumination (note that the central part is much more illuminated than the periphery. Play with different DF stop sizes and with the condenser height.
Pau

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote:
I just wish sometimes I didn't get circular images.
Can you zoom the camera?

If not that, then of course you can crop to rectangular. That's what "real" camera interfaces do anyway.

--Rik
Yes I can zoom, but at higher magnifications (if I swap the 10x eyepiece for the 20x) it just creates a larger dark area with a fuzzy inner edge containing the image in the centre.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Pau wrote:
I just wish sometimes I didn't get circular images
You need to use a longer focal lens. What camera and lens do you use?

You can also improve dark field illumination (note that the central part is much more illuminated than the periphery. Play with different DF stop sizes and with the condenser height.
The camera is a Canon IXUS 265 HS compact, a very capable performer.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

This is another shot I took but this time I cropped to a rectangle

ImagePine Pollen by Larry Shone, on Flickr

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes I can zoom, but at higher magnifications (if I swap the 10x eyepiece for the 20x) it just creates a larger dark area with a fuzzy inner edge containing the image in the centre
No, a 20X eyepiece makes things worse as yo have experienced. Just set the camera to a bit longer zoom, just enough to the round field limit disappear.
At the camera specification it says 25mm equivalent at wide angle. With a 10X eyepiece you want it to be around 60mm equivalent. In principle, if you do not have vignette issues it's better than cropping the image later.
Pau

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

If you can find a really optically perfect small NaCl crystal, you can get some very interesting internal reflections in darkfield.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic