Chlamydodon

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

Chlamydodon

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Franz Neidl posted a picture of a ciliate that was probably Chlamydodon. I thikk I found a similar ciliate. I found it high on a beach in Schiermonnikoog, one of the Wadden islands in the north of the Netherlands. There were large brown/green biofilms on the beach formed by rain water and I assume it could be brakisch because so close to the sea. The biofilm contained cyanobacteria (Oscillatoria) on top of a layer of diatoms.

They did not show the colours as in Frans image. When they ate all the cyanobacteria they became clear (and hungry) All kinds of other organisms showed up in the sample. Flagellates (oxyrrhis marina?) and lots of spirilli bacteria (not in these images)

Wim

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Nice photos!
I think only the last two photos are Chlamydodon

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt038 Very nice set.
Thanks for sharing.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Beautiful set

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Great shots Wim. I love the colour balance.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you. Although they look quite different I think they are the same species but the bottom ones have digested all the food and lack the green of the algae inside.

The third image shows a long strand of cyanobacteria inside the cell. I have an idea that the distinct rail track that you can see in the bottom image acts as a kind of support or helps to direct the strands along the cell.

Wim

Bruce Taylor

Post by Bruce Taylor »

Wim van Egmond wrote:The third image shows a long strand of cyanobacteria inside the cell. I have an idea that the distinct rail track that you can see in the bottom image acts as a kind of support or helps to direct the strands along the cell.
It's an interesting notion. Perhaps the structure allows the organism to take in longer strands than other cyanobacteria feeders, like Nassula and Frontonia, can consume. I've often seen the former "bite off" a long strand, while the latter can suffer bizarre (but temporary) distortions of the cell shape, when taking in a particularly long, stiff filament. I suppose it could be tested, easily enough. One could simply measure the average length of the coiled strands in various cyanobacteria-eating ciliates. :)

A wonderful series of images!
It Came from the Pond (Blog): http://www.itcamefromthepond.com/

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you for your comments Bruce,

I have seen Nassulas with quite some distortion as well. A clue that indicates the track has to do with the feeding can be seen in the last image. There is a little bend in the track just above the cyrtos. The cyrtos is out of focus but can be seen in the other image of the same organism.

If you follow the path the cyanobacteria strand would make this bend would make sure the strand is directed a bit more inward. The bend is the end of the line of the railtrack. :-) But it could also be an anomally. I don't see this bend in oher individuals.

Still, the structure may help to keep the cell in the right shape for a smooth transport of the Oscillatoria train.

Wim

vasselle

Post by vasselle »

Bonjour
Superbes photos
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux K
Boitier EOS 1200d

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

How interesting!!!!!

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

Very nice images of a most interesting organism!

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Interesting set!

Rogelio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic