Gold Bugs

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leonardturner

Gold Bugs

Post by leonardturner »

Some 20 years ago I had the great good luck to be given the run of a Zeiss DSM 962 scanning electron microscope in exchange for showing it off to visitors at a natural history museum. My responsibilities included finding specimens, mounting them on the 1.3 cm aluminum slugs, and sputter coating them with gold before transferring them to the SEM for demonstrations. I kept the instructions for operating the massive scope (I had no prior experience, and remain to this day astonished at the detail and depth of field afforded by these devices). My specimens were kept in a plastic travelling case, which I recently rediscovered, and thought it an interesting idea to show them as photographed and stacked, seen in the visual part of the electromagnetic world rather than outlined with electrons. They have, of course, suffered the loss of some of their parts, some of their gold and the attacks of the ever-present fungus, sort of a microscopic Ozymandias.

Photographed with 10X BD Nikon objective on a tube lens or with CFN 10X on Labophot, Nikon D810, Zerene stacker.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice

abpho

Post by abpho »

Wow. What a great experience. It was nice that you were able to keep the samples. Great pictures. I wonder if you process them (somehow) if you can make it look like a SEM image. :)
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Stunning images. What is each of them?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

These are magically beautiful! Thanks very much for sharing the story and the images. I wish I could figure out how to sputter-coat my plant specimens like that; I don't need SEM-level resolution but I need to make my subjects opaque and ideally rigid.....

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

Great!

The flea is stunning...
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

My thanks to you all for your kind comments.

Carlos, from top to bottom they are flea, dandelion seed head, antenna of bumblebee, a small fly, and a large black ant.

Abpho, a fascinating idea to try to duplicate the SEM look. I'd like to play with that when I get a little time.

Lou, I was no expert on sputter coating--I just followed directions with somewhat varying results. As I recall, the device was very expensive and used gold foil which was periodically replenished. I am adding an image of the coincidental deposition of gold on the base on one of the stubs, probably on the adhesive used to mount the specimens. An interesting pattern--

Did anyone notice the tiny mite near the ant's surviving antenna? That made for an interesting discussion item during the demonstrations, I think.

Olympusman

Gold bugs

Post by Olympusman »

Wow! Gold-plated bugs. Even if you don't have an electron microscope, sputtering looks like a wonderful terchnique for light microscopy.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt038 These are amazing.
Thanks for sharing.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

My thanks to you both, Mike and Sumguy; much appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic