My chat with a Diatom

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

billporter1456

My chat with a Diatom

Post by billporter1456 »

While watching a diatom moving around on a slide, I tried to imagine what it would be like to have a conversation with this little one-celled organism. This video is a light-hearted attempt to display what that conversation might have been like. I'm far from being an expert on diatoms, but I did try to put in a few educational tidbits. I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwX81hjhyc

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D quote=Cheap chinese lens :lol:
Bill you have a great sense of humor.
You make me laugh.
Thanks for sharing
Keep it up.
Enjoy the ride.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Normally I don't spend a lot of time watching videos, but I stayed with this one all the way through.

Those 100X images are excellent, the educational tidbits were very nice, and I'm still mulling over that bit about "the way up and the way down are one and the same". It does seem very Zen-like, despite preceding Zen by several hundred years...

--Rik

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

I usually- don't watch videos too, it is time consuming (;

But this one is great: funny, educational, and beautiful (: great!
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Loved it, Bill! (And I don't spend much time on videos either, normally.)

--Chris

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Very nice :)

René

Post by René »

LOL, thanks Bill!

René

shrek

Post by shrek »

Excellent :D

jp

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Excellent

KDan

Post by KDan »

Hi Bill,

diatoms actually led me to the microscope. When I first saw them at the age of fourteen, I was caught.

Your video brought to my photomicrography another dimension. So far, I've never record the video through a microscope, but your "Conversation with a Diatom" inspired me to give it a try.

Thanks!

Karel

PS: What equipment do you use to shoot the video?

billporter1456

Thank you very much for your comments!

Post by billporter1456 »

To those of you who responded with kind and complimentary words, I sincerely appreciate your comments! I have been a fan of this site since coming across it a few months ago and continue to marvel at the images displayed herein. While I don’t expect that I will ever develop the technical expertise or acquire the equipment to produce comparable images, I do enjoy the challenge of making little videos that have educational and/or amusement value. :D

billporter1456

Post by billporter1456 »

KDan wrote:Hi Bill,

diatoms actually led me to the microscope. When I first saw them at the age of fourteen, I was caught.

Your video brought to my photomicrography another dimension. So far, I've never record the video through a microscope, but your "Conversation with a Diatom" inspired me to give it a try.

Thanks!

Karel

PS: What equipment do you use to shoot the video?
Yes, there is something compelling about watching one of the larger diatoms cruising slowly across the slide. I was using the 40X and 100X objectives from an Omax scope (inexpensive Chinese scope), but they were mounted on a Nikon Labophot stand. Illumination was by a homemade LED setup. If you decide to try making a video, I'd be happy to offer whatever help I can based on my few months of doing this.

By the way, perhaps you can answer a question about a photo of a diatom I took just yesterday. Is the dark roundish object near the very center of the cell the nucleus? Here's a link to the pic:

http://billporter.smugmug.com/Microscop ... X-s-X2.jpg

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

Nice idea, well done.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Very nice, congratulations!

Rogelio

KDan

Post by KDan »

billporter1456 wrote:Yes, there is something compelling about watching one of the larger diatoms cruising slowly across the slide. I was using the 40X and 100X objectives from an Omax scope (inexpensive Chinese scope), but they were mounted on a Nikon Labophot stand. Illumination was by a homemade LED setup. If you decide to try making a video, I'd be happy to offer whatever help I can based on my few months of doing this.

By the way, perhaps you can answer a question about a photo of a diatom I took just yesterday. Is the dark roundish object near the very center of the cell the nucleus? Here's a link to the pic:

http://billporter.smugmug.com/Microscop ... X-s-X2.jpg

Hi Bill,

sorry for the somewhat late response. Thanks for your offer of assistance.

I'm no expert, just an amateur - although the size and location match, I've never seen the nucleus of this contrast in living diatom.

Karel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic