Tartaric Acid II

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Tartaric Acid II

Post by Charles Krebs »

I still had some tartaric acid solution in a jar so I made a couple more slides. On my workbench was an old box were I had kept butterfly specimens. Just for fun, I sprinkled in some of the "dust" (loose wing scales) into the solution on one slide to see what might result. Two of the shots here are the result of that.

If you like photographing crystals and have not played around with tartaric acid I strongly recommend it. It is a very "safe" substance, easy and inexpensive to buy, dissolves readily in water, and makes amazing birefringent crystals that you can look at for hours.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Extraordinary. That alien lake,, #5, is out of this world!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Chris,

Yeah, those "city" scenes were fun to see. One thing about this recent set of crystals was how often, while looking over the slides they were so very reminiscent of some of my favorite geographical sites like the Southwest USA canyon-lands, or Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone. The ones with butterfly scales in them made me think of searching for leaf fossils in shale deposits. All in all a very nice diversion during a spell of gray cold weather here.

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

Charlie,

Another outstanding set of images.

Rich

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Mesmerizing! I would not be surprised if a little space ship would fly through that 5th image.

Wim

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Charlie,

These are fascinating. I was initially drawn to image #2..... but #5 has my full attention.

Reminds of Mesa Verde....an artists' rendition.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic