Water flea - Polarized (image added)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RogelioMoreno

Water flea - Polarized (image added)

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Here is a set of a specimen that looks like water flea and has some kind of birefrigent.

10x polarized:

20x polarized

Rogelio
Last edited by RogelioMoreno on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Tripping. Crazy images. Thanks

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

:shock: :shock: :shock: wow

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Very bizarre!

Looks like it overdosed on vitamin C :wink:

hayath

Post by hayath »

Crazy colors and details..loved these

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

...excellent :wink:
arturo

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

It does indeed look like something birefringent has crystallized on the surface of this Cladoceran in thin plates. A calcium salt perhaps? Fascinating and attractive. Do you have a DIC or brightfield image that might help with ID and working out what the structure is that's producing the optical effect.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

I love #2 and #4 images (:
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Thank you all for your comments.

Cactusdave, I only have the polarized version. :(

Marek posted some similar on the following link:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... cladoceran

Rogelio

harisA

Post by harisA »

amazing pictures.

pwnell

Post by pwnell »

That is remarkable. I will remember to play with the polarizer next time I find a water flea.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Thanks for the link. My thoughts would be that as water evaporates under the coverslip, salts, probably calcium carbonate, precipitate from solution in the water probably as soluble calcium bicarbonate, in the form of thin transparent birefringent plates. The rough surface of the waterflea carapace would provide suitable crystallization nuclei from which the crystallization process would be initiated.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Cactusdave wrote:Thanks for the link. My thoughts would be that as water evaporates under the coverslip, salts, probably calcium carbonate, precipitate from solution in the water probably as soluble calcium bicarbonate, in the form of thin transparent birefringent plates. The rough surface of the waterflea carapace would provide suitable crystallization nuclei from which the crystallization process would be initiated.
Normally I inspect the sample without the coverslip if I find something interesting then I cover it, I remember to have seen the thin birefringent plates on the surface of the waterflea carapace before putting the coverslip.

Thank you for your comments.

Rogelio
Last edited by RogelioMoreno on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

harisA and Waldo,

Thank you for your comments.

Rogelio

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Thing o' beauty. Are we sure that the birefringent structures are completely external? Could they be some kind of fungal hyphae that have enough of a layered structure to provide sufficient birefringence to generate the effect? I admit they don't look exactly like any fungal structures I've ever seen before, but they do have a sort of "bud-like" or segmented structure. Really unique and beautiful.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic