Spyrogyra

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Spyrogyra

Post by Charles Krebs »

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

Superb! :D

The first one looks like an abstract piece of art. I wonder how it would look like at high magnification under polarized light. I wonder if the pyrenoids have birefringent properties.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I keep coming back to look at that first shot. It has such amazing clarity.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

The first two shots are actually cross polarized (partial) brightfield. I just like the effect when the polarizers are set to less than full extinction. The cell walls are quite birefringent. As can be seen in the second shot the , the pyrenoids also exhibit this characteristic to a lesser degree.

phytoplankton

Post by phytoplankton »

I love how in the first pic you can see the cell walls of the bottom strand showing through the top strand like some sort of organic stained glass window.

I have been lurking and using the wonderful information around here (and your site :) ) to setup my microscope for photography (an Orthoplan). But I was getting a little discouraged because I wanted a DIC setup and they are so expensive for Leitz. But your recent work with crossed polars as well as looking through your old pics with darkfield/brightfield/rheinberg have inspired me once again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic