Just don't get around like I used to!

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Just don't get around like I used to!

Post by Charles Krebs »

That is even a common copepod lament! :wink:

You know how it goes... first comes the family, then you put on a few extra pounds of Epistylus... then those pesky little euglena... :cry:

And one other subject from yesterdays slide, Campanella umbellaria. Not too much interesting new activity in my local sampling pond. But there is always something to see.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Really beautiful shots. I love the colors and detail and have not seen anything like it before. :)

twebster

Post by twebster »

Goodness gracious, Charlie. These are wonderful images! I especially like #2. I can see how a copepod would be slowed down by all the hangers-on! These are wonderful images. :)
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hello Charles,

all three photos are very beautiful. I too prefer the second. (I suppose you used for it the objective 10x, the projection eyepiece ?).

Franz

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Those are really stunning images Charles

Linden

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Beautiful shots; the second is really amazing!.

Rogelio

Jean-marc

Post by Jean-marc »

Hello Charles,

Details and colors are beautiful

JM

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks all!

Franz,
I suppose you used for it the objective 10x, the projection eyepiece ?
Yes the second shot was with the 10/0.40 S Plan Apo. Oblique brightfield. I used the NFK 1.67X (but the Olympus ntermediate piece provides an additional 1.25X, so it is at 21X on sensor.

The first darkfield shot was a quick "snap" taken with the 4X meant primarily to provide a reference to what is seen in the second image.

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Thank you Charles,

your answer is very interesting for me. I thought the second picture was with DIC. Now I have two questions:
1. How do you make a oblique brightfield?
2. You use an Olympus 1,67 projection eyepiece. I have only a 2,5 Nikon projection-eyepiece. It is possible to use an Olympus 1,67 eyepiece on a Nikon microscope? (I want to reduce the magnification of my microscope. Nikon does not have a 1,67 eyepiece and the Nikon 2,0 eyepiece is very expensive. What can I do?).

Franz

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Very very nice. The composition of that second one is perfect. And Campanella is always nice to see.

Wim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Franz,
1. How do you make a oblique brightfield?
2. You use an Olympus 1,67 projection eyepiece. I have only a 2,5 Nikon projection-eyepiece. It is possible to use an Olympus 1,67 eyepiece on a Nikon microscope? (I want to reduce the magnification of my microscope. Nikon does not have a 1,67 eyepiece and the Nikon 2,0 eyepiece is very expensive. What can I do?).
1) I use the brightfield position of my "turret" condenser, but then rotate the turret slightly as if moving it to a different position. This moves the aperture off-center. Then I play around with the aperture size and the amount of decentering. Pulling an eyepiece and looking down at the back of the object will show something like these illustrations:

The effect varies greatly and can be extremely nice and effective. I used it extensively before I got DIC, and, in some cases I still prefer it to DIC.

2) The Olympus 1.67 NFK is no longer made and it has gotten gotten very expensive over the past few years (typically $600 and up). But it was "corrective" and would therefore not be a good choice with newer "infinity" microscopes that do not use correction in the eyepieces. What is the diameter of the tube where you now insert the 2.5X Nikon photo-eyepiece? What have you seen as a price for a 2X? Which camera are you using now?

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Hello Charles,

thank you very much for your answer.
To point 1: Decenter in the indicated way is an excellent idea. I will try it.

To point 2: My microscope is a Nikon “infinity” microscope. If the 1,67 NFK from Olympus is corrected and expensive it would not have sense for me to buy it.
The diameter of the 2,5 Nikon eyepiece (which I use now) is 30 mm.
The price for the Nikon PLI-2x photo eyepiece is 700 Euro (about 980 american dollars). In the moment (and maybe in the next future) this price is too high for me.
The camera I use now is a Pentax K20D (with factor 1,5x of magnification).
The reason why I want to reduce the magnification is because the DIC-objectives are starting with the objective 10x and sometimes I have very “big” objects like animals from the plankton which I want to photograph with DIC but they are simply to big for objective 10x.

Franz

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Nice shots
Francisco

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Charlie,
the n2 is the shot of the year...
i admire a lot your skill in oblique illumination...no DIC was better.
best
arturo

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Charlie,
I'm very impressed of your second image. It is simply wonderful !
I haven't expected such quality if about oblique illumination.
I agree with Arturo - your shot could be the best one which I saw last year on this forum. You are real master !
Best regards

Marek
Suwalki, Poland

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic