ID help for fugitive from Stentor Coeruleus

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bschnitzer

ID help for fugitive from Stentor Coeruleus

Post by Bschnitzer »

1E1B970D-CF88-4997-B9F4-AE04FFBB0239.jpeg

I observed about 80 of these stream out of a Stentor. Any idea what it is? Once they are “set free”, some of them appear to vibrate as if there were short, fast moving cilia involved.

Severely cropped from stack of 6 images (Helicon Focus)
40x Oly DPlan obj.
Nex 6 (APSC) at trinoc port
Post processed with Topaz AI apps

Thanks,

Bob
1. Olympus BH2 BHTU trinocular w/DPlan objectives, Risingcam 20mp 1” USB
2. Motic SMZ 168 Stereo w/Nikon N1 APS-C
3. Extreme macro rig Nikon D500/PB6 bellows/10x CFI Achr/Raynox DCR150/Wemacro Rail

Bschnitzer

Re: ID help for fugitive from Stentor Coeruleus

Post by Bschnitzer »

Here is the video showing the Stentor with the cluster breakup. Maybe the cluster is not inside the Stentor, rather in front or behind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdtgJOE14c

Oly 40x objective
Sony Nex 6
3. Extreme macro rig Nikon D500/PB6 bellows/10x CFI Achr/Raynox DCR150/Wemacro Rail

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice video!

This is not my area of expertise, but I wonder if the fugitives are things that the Stentor sucked in, could not digest, and is now getting rid of.

See https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 3&p=110469 .

I have no clue about ID on the fugitives.

--Rik

Bschnitzer

Post by Bschnitzer »

Is it possible the fugitives are progeny by a series of macronucleii division? I captured a page out of Vance Tartar’s 1961 Stentor monograph that hints at it.
71889841-103C-4F75-9099-81E18DF7A17F.jpeg

Bruce Taylor

Post by Bruce Taylor »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:45 pm
Nice video!

This is not my area of expertise, but I wonder if the fugitives are things that the Stentor sucked in, could not digest, and is now getting rid of.
This is exactly right. The video shows ingested matter being ejected from the Stentor's excretory pore (cytopyge). I don't know what the little brown balls are. They appear to have eyespots, so perhaps they are Trachelomonas, or some other alga.

@Bschnitzer These are definitely not macronuclear nodules. You might be misinterpreting Tartar's diagram. :) Stentor coeruleus, like most ciliates, reproduces by dividing across the middle (transverse fission), which results in two equal-sized daughter cells that look pretty much like the original Stentor, but smaller (there are no differently-shaped tiny "progeny"!). The macronucleus does divide, during this process, but it does not exit the cell at any point (and if it did, it would not be capable of forming a new organism). In the early phases of division, the string-of-beads macronucleus of S. coeruleus consolidates into a single clump, which then splits into two. Each of the daughter cells receives one of these nodules, which forms the basis of a new macronucleus.

Reproduction by fission is an asexual process. It may, however, be preceded by sex (conjugation), during which two separate cells come together and exchange genetic material. Their (very tiny!) micronuclei divide, and haploid products of this division migrate from one cell to the other, across a "cytoplasmic bridge" in their joined membranes. At no point do these leave the cells, either. When conjugation is complete, the two cells swim away from one another, to continue their independent lives. Eventually, they will divide in the usual way.
It Came from the Pond (Blog): http://www.itcamefromthepond.com/

Bschnitzer

Post by Bschnitzer »

Thank you, Bruce, for your informative response. After looking at Trachelomonas images on the internet, you are spot on. It is truly amazing that I can put 30 drops of pond water under the microscope and find such diversity of organisms.

Regards,

Bob

dahyon

Post by dahyon »

Hi
They look like Arcella tests to me.
Stentor video excellent by the way
David

Bschnitzer

Post by Bschnitzer »

Double thanks, David, for the kind words and steering me to a correction in my image file collection. Researching your Arcella suggestion led me to discover what I thought was a Diatom was actually Arcella Vulgaris.

Bob
Attachments
Arcella Vulgaris small.jpg

Bruce Taylor

Post by Bruce Taylor »

dahyon wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:44 am
Hi
They look like Arcella tests to me.
I can see why you think that, but they are not Arcella (or any arcellinid). In the attached video, they appear to be spherical, not discoid or campanulate, and we see no sign of any pseudostomal aperture. They are too small, as well.
It Came from the Pond (Blog): http://www.itcamefromthepond.com/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic