Magma flow

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

houstontx

Magma flow

Post by houstontx »

Dried potassium salt crystal. I think this looks like an underground river of magma. 16 image stack. Olympus BX51, 10x objective, no coverslip, crossed polarizers with a BH2 era 530nm tint plate (it fits perfectly inside the u-tad insert). u-spt photo tube, PE2.5x, in conjunction with Leitz phototube and 0.32x lens. Leitz tube shown here: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -270133303

This combination reduces the magnification nearly to the field of view shown in the eyepieces. However it seems to add some aberration at the corners, although lack of coverslip or sample flatness may have worsened the issue?
BX51  Adjusted.jpg

micro_pix

Re: Magma flow

Post by micro_pix »

houstontx wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 pm
....... I think this looks like an underground river of magma.
I can see that - very nice! What sensor size are you using? Is the 0.32x to get the full image on an APS-C sized sensor.

Dave

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I'll admit I am super surprised that combo works, but the results certainly prove it does. That is a very striking image!
For an Olympus infinity scope I'd probably go with direct projection for aps-c though.

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

ha yes i was surprised as well! its not perfect, the tube set screw clamps too high up on the u-spt dovetail. and it may be slightly off center. i dont know how to direct image on the sensor (yes aps-c).

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The way I've done it is to unscrew the female dovetail that accepts the u-spt and replace it with a 3d-printed M42 thread, then directly connected the camera with m42 spacers and a helicoid for fine focus. It would probably not be too hard to make a dovetail adapter and not have to remove the female dovetail, though having a narrower inner diameter at that spot might cause flare without flocking. It gives a wider FoV, though if your objectives have a 22mm FN the image quality out there may not be as great. I don't know if you'd see a relevant increase in image quality aside from that, since you're obviously getting good images with this setup.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

I found a dovetail to M42 adapter on Ebay, from Spain, I used a couple of short Thor Labs tubes and a SM2 to Canon EOS adapter. I did a quick test of direct projection vs PE 2.5x on my APS-C I didn’t see a big quality difference, a little more CA with the photo-eyepiece. As I have FF canon I tend to use that with the PE 2.5x now.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic