An unusual fly - Tachinid Dejeania

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JoanYoung

An unusual fly - Tachinid Dejeania

Post by JoanYoung »

It was an interesting walk with butterflies and caterpillars still found although not in as great numbers.

This unusual fly is known to parasitize only the African Boll Worm Helicoverpa armigera. He is about 10mm in body length with about a 20mm wingspan.

Joan Young

crazybread

Post by crazybread »

yeah it is unusual. Nice shot. The fly looks ultra fat. Cool eyes, Anyways. I know nothing about flies, but they're not like that where I come from.

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Joan,

This one is very good both technically and artistically. What an unusual fly–those black spikes are unusual and strange eyes too. What about that shiny "wart" on its back.

We don't have many unusual bugs like this in Southern California.

Roy

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks for commenting Crazybread and Roy, and the kind words.

We do have some strange insects here in South Africa and until I started doing close-up / macro photography, I never even noticed them. It is amazing what I am finding now. :D
Joan Young

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Very smart! Those antennne, short, with a sort of disc with a short filament protruding from it, are diagnostic for two-winged flies (Diptera), athough some, such as mosquitos, have a different arrangement.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

LOL!! This country bumpkin found the info in my insect book. It does not have a lot, just the most common ones, so most of the time I cannot put a name to the insects I take pictures of, but sometimes, like this, I actually find it there. :D Thanks Harold, I am learning a lot when people like you give me handy information like that of the antennae.
Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

That is a pretty cool looking fly. :D Occasionally I may see one like this or similar but not to often. :-k

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Indeed that is one strange-looking fly! :shock:

I presume from the topic title that this is a Tachinid fly (Diptera:Tachinidae) in the genus Dejeania.

You might be amused to know that there is a New World genus named Adejeania ("not Dejeania"), that is almost as strange looking. See http://bugguide.net/node/view/25865/bgpage and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adejeania . Most of the species are South American; there's one in the U.S.

--Rik

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Very interesting links Rik, thanks. They are very similar aren't they, mine is just darker and not so red. :)
Joan Young

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic