Don't mess with me!!

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JoanYoung

Don't mess with me!!

Post by JoanYoung »

I am glad I am bigger than him. This is one of the tapping beetles (Tenebrionidae)...they stop and tap on the ground with their rear end, then listen to hear if any female taps back, walk a little way forward and tap again. What a way to find a mate!!

Joan Young

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You are coming along really great with your macros Joan. Selective focusing and depth of field are right on in my opinion and the compression artifacts that have manifested themselves in some of your past images are non-existant in these, as far as I can tell. Very nice work here Joan and a great subject. :smt023

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks for your kind words Ken. :D
Joan Young

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Joan,
you´ve got interesting insects down there in Southern Africa. Always a pleasure to have a look at well taken photos of them.
Especially in this one I like the fancy light brown woolen stockings! :wink: :D

Best wishes,
Betty

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks Betty. The more I go looking for bugs, the more interesting ones I find. :D I am so glad I was encouraged to start doing macro / close-up photography. His wolly stockings make him look very interesting and not many have the light colour in them. :)
Joan Young

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

And here's me thinking it was the sight of folding money that attracted females! :? You learn something new every day Joan. :o

DaveW :lol:

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks for commenting Dave. As far woman and folding money are concerned, I am going not to get into this, it is dangerous ground. :lol: :lol:
Joan Young

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

you got some crazy creatures over there joan nice pics.
Jordan L. photo southern california.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

A beautiful beetle & photo Joan. Is this with the new 400D? I also think it is very interesting to see other flora & fona from other parts of the world :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Jordan
you got some crazy creatures over there
Thanks Jordan. We definitely have some interesting ones.

Beetleman
is very interesting to see other flora & fona from other parts of the world
Thanks Doug. I thought you might enjoy this one. I find it interesting making a comparison in species too.
This one was still taken with the P&S but I have been getting great images with the 400D and the 300mm lens which has surprised me as I did not think it would do any macro's. I will post some shots I took at a later stage for you to see. Are you comfortable with yours by now??
Joan Young

arlon

Post by arlon »

Joan, I like the bottom picture the best. I'll usually do anything I can to get a bug out of carpet grass into a more natural looking setting. When I see carpet grass in a bug pic, I know there's got to be a lawn chair just out of the photo. Sometimes it just can't be avoided but I like what you did. Got him off the grass! Arlon
D50,100 IR, 90, 700, 800E and a box of old manual lenses.

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks Arlon. It is funny that you should mention this as I was thinking the same thing. These are actually two different bugs. The second one was walking down this dirt road tapping away and the first one I found at work and took home to photography and there is either lawn or concrete there. I like the "don't mess with me" attitute in the first shot, but like the second one more because it is natural. :)
Joan Young

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Love shot #1. Being at eye level with the beetle makes the shot more exciting. Looks like a tank. Great shot Joan.

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Thanks Irwin. I agree, it makes an interesting pic. Needless to say I was once again covered in mud. :D It has been raining a lot here this summer.
Joan Young

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic