"Monkey Slugs"

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

"Monkey Slugs"

Post by Ken Ramos »

:lol: Close examination may suggest the reason for the name, however, "Monkey Slugs" is the name given to the "Hag Moth Caterpillar" and getting slugged would probably feel a lot better than what you would get from brushing up against this "monkey." :shock:

Hag Moth Caterpilliar/"Monkey Slug"
Canon EOS 30D
Manual mode/hand held
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 430EX Speedlite ETTL @ 1/3
Afternoon, in shade

Hag Moth Caterpillars can be found late summer through early fall and seem to prefer but are not limited to oak, hickory, ash and birch trees for forage. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Interesting critter, Ken!

I had not seen these before. Google provides lots of links to more information and other pictures that confirm the ID of this distinctive caterpillar. What surprises me, though, is that just looking at these pictures I would have guessed that this caterpillar is pretty large, maybe like a wooly bear (which does not sting) or even a Sheep Moth (which does) . But according to http://www.ag.auburn.edu/enpl/bulletins ... pillar.htm,
The full-grown caterpillar is brown, hairy, and about 5/8 inch long.
That makes it really quite a small beast, even full grown.

How big is the one in your pictures?

--Rik

[edit]
PS. The photos of a Sheep Moth larva linked above show only part of the caterpillar. To see lots of photos of the whole thing and its close relative the Buck Moth, Google Hemileuca caterpillar.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Rik wrote:
How big is the one in your pictures?
About that which is stated by the web sites, 5/8" The leaf that it is on is around one inch maybe a little less than one inch. Wish I could tell you the shrubs name but I have no idea what it is but it was not on one of the common places listed for this particular caterpillar, most things never are as reputed to be when you stumble across them. :lol: I found this caterpillar back around mid-September and it was in a shaded area. I have seen them before, not very often of course but I cannot recall whether they were in the shade or in the sun. :-k

Thanks Rik :D

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

that is crazy, gotta be one of the weirdest caterpillars ive seen
Jordan L. photo southern california.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very strange indeed Ken. Excellent photos.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very curious little fellow!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic