Water Stick (Ranatra Linearis (Heteroptera)) with Prey

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sven Bernert

Water Stick (Ranatra Linearis (Heteroptera)) with Prey

Post by Sven Bernert »

30D, EF 180 + 1.4x TC + Canon Ringflash, monopod,
manual exposure 1/125 @ f/16, ISO 800, crop (this is roughly 75% if the original image)

F16 because I was trying to get most of its legs sharp.

This little alien insect lives in my pond and is an interesting creature to observe. It moves using the rear and middle legs. Like all of its family members its Fore-legs are modified and raptorial. They are used to fix its prey (in a 1/300 of a second :shock: ).

Thanks for looking, c&c very welcome!

Best all,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I've never seen this. Very interesting. He looks translucent (like you can almost see through him) is that the way he looks in real life?
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

twebster

Post by twebster »

Now that's cool, Sven. I've seen walking sticks but I've never seen water sticks. :D I definitely love the low angle you got, too. :smt023
Tom Webster

Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA

The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working! :)

Danny

Post by Danny »

Yes the low angle works well M8t. These are hard to get in macro because they are so long. Well done in get it in and still showing those sharp details. Very nicely done Sven.

Always a pleasure to see you M8t. All the best in Germany my friend :D :wink:

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Nicely captured Sven. :D :smt023
Not easy subject for macro.
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

An odd looking creature there Sven. I am sure that there are some around here too, probably I have just not noticed them. :-k :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

An excellent creature Sven...I have never seen anything like it here in the states. I did a bugguide search and it produced nothing on these critters :shock: I agree on the angle :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

An excellent capture Sven - nicely done too. If you have the time I would be interested to see a closer crop of the head and thorax - its such a bizarre looking creature.

Bruce

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Thanks guys!
Mike B in OKlahoma wrote:He looks translucent (like you can almost see through him) is that the way he looks in real life?
No Mike, these are just different shades of gray, I think the flash makes it then look translucent. I think the last image at the end of this post shows it nicely.
twebster wrote:I definitely love the low angle you got, too. :smt023
nzmacro wrote:Yes the low angle works well M8t.
Yup, I was quite low on the ground. I was using the Manfrotto (Bogen) Monopod Support, I think it is 3422 or so. It helps a lot getting steady support for the pod. Just the mini mall head is a bit on the small side.

Ken, Doug and Nikola - thanks guys. And Dave for the interesting link. The one photographed in the picture is smaller than the ones in that link. The pure body length is roughly half an inch (a bit over 1 cm).

Bruce, here is the crop you want to see that shows more head detail:

and here is an older image, that shows one of its relatives after murdering many small flies and moth :roll:

Waterstriders are close relatives being in the same family with the same hunting and killing behavior. I'll post an older image in a new thread.

Thanks again everyone for looking & commenting.

Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic