Nikon , Olympus, Meiji, Swift Focus Blocks; & Setups

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Jan, your setup is very elegant!! :D This will require much study!

One quick comment: I cannot access your scan of the Olympus CH Repair Manual. When I try, it says "The server homedrive.ziggo.nl at Webspace login voor jg.buitenhuis@quicknet.nl requires a username and password."

--Rik

JGVilla

Post by JGVilla »

rjlittlefield wrote:One quick comment: I cannot access your scan of the Olympus CH Repair Manual. When I try, it says "The server homedrive.ziggo.nl at Webspace login voor jg.buitenhuis@quicknet.nl requires a username and password."--Rik
Sorry for the "missing link". My provider just changed his setup for using webspace.
I actually waited a week before publicing here to make sure it would work. :evil:
I will try and sort it out this weekend.
The file is about 7 mb.
If I can send it to you some other way let me know.
-Jan-

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Jan,

This will require some study as Rik mentioned. Thanks for uploading the detailed images of your setup, customisations and the incorporated focus block.

Jan wrote:
The file is about 7 mb.
If I can send it to you some other way let me know.
Don't want to move off-topic, but; one method of making larger files available for download is via www.yousendit.com. You are able to upload the file to their servers and a hyperlink is provided via email to the recipient (also to the sender - the hyperlink can also be forwarded to additional recipients). There is a free 'Lite Version' (requires Sign Up) and also various subscription editions available for those who use the service regularly; they even have a plug-in for Photoshop and other software programs.
Basically, if using the 'Lite Version' the hyperlink to a specific file is only operational for 7 days and limited to 100 downloads; but file size is not an issue (2GB).

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

JGVilla

Post by JGVilla »

augusthouse wrote:Jan, Don't want to move off-topic, but; one method of making larger files available for download is via www.yousendit.com.
Craig, I just had a lengthy conversation with the help desk of my service provider. Apparently they changed more than even they know. :shock:
I now have an outstanding question to solve the issue, but in the mean time I took up your suggestion and made the file available on yousendit.

Here is the link:
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php? ... NlNGa1E9PQ

Please let me know if it works (or not). First time I'm using this service.
-Jan-

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Hi Jan:

Works fine, as long as Cookies are enabled.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Works fine for me too. Thanks very much for posting this manual. I recently purchased one of these scope bases and it needs some tuneup. This manual will be very helpful.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Administrivia: This topic moved from Equipment into Technique and Technical Discussions so it would be in the same forum with other like topics.

This is turning out to be one of our most popular topics....and for good reason!

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Jan,

Thank you very much for the manual.

Best regards,
David

JGVilla

New link to Repair Manual

Post by JGVilla »

I changed the link to the Olympus CHC Repair Manual in the original posting.
Can anybody let me know if it now works? :P
-Jan-

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: New link to Repair Manual

Post by rjlittlefield »

JGVilla wrote:Can anybody let me know if it now works? :P
Yes, it now works fine for me.

--Rik

lothman

Post by lothman »

the link to the ebay auction in the first post is dead. Is there another source for such a focus block?

Regards
Lothman

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I just received a Nikon Focus Block from China. It's the newer model than the one I have and is almost identical to mgood3's block (on page 3) except it lacks the mounting tube (which is OK as I wouldn't know where to get a 7/8" x 7" bolt) but does have 6 mounting screws.

I got it on ebay but it did not show up under "focus block"; it was listed as a "Nikon Microscope Bracket".

Just a heads up for anyone looking for one of these.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

JLyle

Post by JLyle »

I already have a BH block. Unfortunately the mechanism was damaged in shipping. I have an opportunity to pick up a local CH Olympus scope for a pittance. The BH block that I had gotten was just the block. But this CH would require I disassemble the scope. Is this problematic, or is it obvious once the scope is in hand? I am asking because I haven't actually gone to look at the scope yet. Just trying to find what I am getting involved in. It is cheap and I a not too concerned with what happens to the rest of the scope so long as I can get the CH block out free and clear. Anyone know about this?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I've sent you a link to a file store site you can download the CH manual from. I originally got it from the link above. The link will, as that one has, expire in a couple of weeks.

I also have a stand which I believe is a BH variant, which feels "lumpy" so do let us know how you get on.
The focus mechanism isn't a nice discrete block you can simply unscrew. Pity!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I agree with Chris.

In my CH, the focus mechanism looks integrated with the frame. Repair manual gives the same impression. I think it could be converted into a focus block by careful application of a hacksaw, but screwdrivers won't do the job.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic