Microscope camera

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Microscope camera

Post by NikonUser »

Can I simply exchange this film-type camera with a modern Olympus digital body? It's an Olympus PM 10AD attached to the photo tube of a BH2.
All advice welcome.

NU10084
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

elf

Post by elf »

I'm guessing the lens mount is Olympus OM. If so you'll just need an adaptor for OM >> 4/3rds.

p.s. But your alias suggests this might work better: http://www.leitax.com/OlympusOM-lens-fo ... meras.html

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Not directly, but it could be done. These bodies were basically "film holders". When they were mounted, a mechanical "blind" moved out of the way and there was a clear shot to the film (no camera body shutter). The shutter was in the PM-10 device. There was an adapter for the Olympus OM mount, but the C-35AD-4 body, as shown in your picture, does not (I'm pretty sure) have an Olympus OM mount.

So if it's adapted to a "modern" interchangeable lens camera, you need to decide what shutter you will be using for actual exposure. There might be a way to leave the PM-10 shutter open and use the camera body shutter. Or, you could use the PM-10 (low vibration) shutter, but then you would need to rig a way to open the camera shutter just before the PM-10 shutter opens so that the sensor is not blocked by the camera shutter.

There might be some useful info here.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Thanks for the replies.

Charles: too bad I can't just simply switch camera bodies; the PM-10AD is such a nice piece of gear (as the Brits would say).

Yes, the ref. you gave was most useful.

The simplest solution is to use the D90 + bellows and position it over the photo eyepiece as explained on krebsmicro.com (excellent info on those pages, a must read for everyone).
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic