When it takes a mile to move an "Inch"

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

When it takes a mile to move an "Inch"

Post by Ken Ramos »

I watched this little ant moving its provision for quite sometime, to long almost, as my knees began to give out from being down on the ground so long nosing around like some hound sniffing out game. But, it seems my efforts payed off. No telling how the green mass ended up erupting from the inchworm but it seemed the ant stopped to sample it as it continued in its work. :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

This is a great (if unappetizing!) behavioral series, Ken. Good job!

I can just hear the ant singing to herself "Great green gobs of greasy, grimey gopher guts!"
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Excellent series of shots Ken.

It looks like the ant's intent was to get at the green stuff. You can see how he has positioned the prey whilst still maintaining a foot-hold on the leaf. That's a strong ant!

Makes you wonder what was responsible for the fatal blow to the cat.?? Whatever it was, it was recent. I suspect a bird, somewhere in the trees above you.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

MikeB wrote:
I can just hear the ant singing to herself "Great green gobs of greasy, grimey gopher guts!"
"...mutilated monkey meat, little dirty birdy feet." :lol: I thought I was the only one who remembered that song. :roll:

No telling how long or far the ant had been dragging that worm but the ant was intent on getting it to where ever it wanted it to be, with a quick snack along the way. :D

Thanks Craig, thanks MikeB :D

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

great in action shot. i always see ants carrying big bites of food they find that one sure looks determined.
Jordan L. photo southern california.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Jordan. :D You definitely have to give them an "E" for effort. Though I did not get a photo and tried desperately to do so, I spied an ant that had captured a small winged insect by one of its hind legs and no matter how hard the winged insect tried to escape, it could not get airborne. Never seen that before. :-k I attempted a photograph of the scene but the action was too intense. Whether the ant succeeded in subduing its prey I do not know. :roll:

salden

Post by salden »

Excellent image Ken and what a catch. Not what I would want to see on my dinner plate, but I am not an ant.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sue wrote:
Not what I would want to see on my dinner plate, but I am not an ant
Nor would I on mine either. :lol:

Thanks Sue :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic