When pictures are too large...

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Gary W Brown

When pictures are too large...

Post by Gary W Brown »

Please help. What do I do when the photos I try to upload are tagged as too large? I've adjusted the pixels to 800x800 or less and I think the file sizes are OK. What is it that I am missing? GW

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm not aware of any criteria other than 800x800 pixels, 200 KB.

How are you generating your image, exactly what message are you getting, and exactly what size is your file?

If you're using Windows XP, then hovering over a file should give you a popup panel listing sizes. What does it say?

Oh, and a silly question -- are you sure that when you try to do the upload, you're pointing to the properly sized file? Sometimes I use the same file name in different folders, and then it's really easy to get confused.

--Rik

Edit: I added this line just to show what an edit looks like.
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Thanks Rik, I've been working with my mac and I think I am making some errors in sizing the photos before I submit them. Gary

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

I finally got this one to work. For some reason, as yet unknown, my resized images at 800x800 are coming up at 500+kb. At any rate this is my flower bed.Image

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Congrats on getting it to post! Not always easy to do, as you've found.

For the images that are larger than you expect, are you sure you are saving them in JPEG format rather than TIF or somesuch uncompressed format?
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Thanks Mike, I am saving the images in Jpeg and for some reason I am getting large files even though I'm setting the pixels at 800. With thoughts of printing some of the photos, I used a large file size and for those I wanted to submit a smaller size. Either way the files always came out too large. I was not having any problems earlier and have actually made a couple of successful postings...I am undoubtedly doing something wrong in my sequence of resizing the pictures. As I sit here and look out the window at the still brown grass and hope for spring I see that it is starting to snow. Gary

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Usually when you edit and resize your pictures in pixels and then use "Save for Web" there is a function in that which lets you reduce the file size to the required size before saving it, but does not affect the picture size you set. It depends what image processing software you are using.

See:-

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Resiz ... or-the-web

DaveW

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Thanks Dave and all. It's amazing what a little help from your friends will do. Here are a few shots of what's going on in my back yard. Gary
Spirea leaves left over from last year (right) and a Spruce cone (below)Image
Lichen on a rock from ColoradoImage

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Gary,

These are looking good -- they could easily go over in the Macro and Close-up Photography Gallery instead of here in Technique and Technical Discussions.

One more technical detail about posting, though... (OK, maybe two. :wink: )

1. Be careful about where you put your [img] tag. If it appears on the same line as text, then the image will be on the same line as the text also, which can make the page layout very strange (extra-wide). This behavior varies with browser, so it might look OK to you but be not so good for the next person. The safest approach is to always start the [img] tag on a new line.

2. If you want to edit one of your own postings, you just click the Edit button at that posting's upper right corner. If you do that before anybody replies, then there's no special tagging. This provides a handy mechanism to fix mistakes that you notice right after you hit Submit. If somebody else has replied before you Edit the posting, then there will be a little tag added to the bottom of the posting that notes the edit. (Take a look at my posting above here in the same topic. I've edited it just to show you what it looks like.)

Hope this helps!

--Rik

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Thanks Rik, I'm starting to see the big picture. I previewed my submission as you suggested and it did not appear as it does above. Did you edit what I sent in? My submission had all the things you described. GW

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

No, I did not edit yours at all. I was thinking you might like to do that, after I pointed out what was going wrong.

Unfortunately, what gets shown with Preview is not exactly how the final posting will appear. I'm not sure what all is different, but certainly the use of window space is a little different -- for example preview does not show your avatar etc. Maybe there are other differences as well. In any case, Preview before Submit is always good, but also look at the posting after the Submit is complete.

Great fun, eh? :?

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I investigated a little further, acting as if I were going to submit your posting myself, and here's what I see.

1. In the box where you edit text, the first [img] looks fine, meaning that it appears to start at the beginning of a line. But it doesn't actually start at the beginning of a line, it's just bad luck that the automatic word wrapping happens to display it that way. I can tell because (for example) if I just type a space and a bunch of x's after "Spruce cone (below)", the x's wrap to the next line, where they then appear just before the [img] for your first image.

2. The second [img] tag is OK. It looks like it starts at the beginning of a new line, and it actually does.

3. The third [img] tag starts right after "rock from Colorado", and it looks that way.

In the preview, the first image either looks pretty much OK or not, depending on how big I make the window. "Pretty much" means that it always appears on the same line as the word "below", but can be either way off on the right or all the way to the left, depending on window size.

The second image always appears at the left, as expected because of its [img] tag starting on a new line.

The third image always appears on the same line with "Colorado", which again is either on the left or on the right, depending on window size.

Again, the exact behavior can depend on which browser is being used. What I've described above is what happens with Internet Explorer 6. I just now retested with FireFox 2.0.0.12, and what I see is that each image either appears immediately after the preceding word but far to the right, or appears on a line by itself. That is, FireFox wraps between the word "below" and the image, where Internet Explorer never wraps there.

Ah, compatibility! :?

BTW, the best way I know to be sure that the [img] tag really does start a line is to position the editing cursor just before it, hit Enter on the keyboard until a blank line appears, then Backspace once to make the blank line disappear. This avoid the problem with word wrap making it appear that you have a newline when you really don't.

--Rik

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Thanks Rik, I will work on my posting techniques and be careful of my page arrangements. Thanks to all who offered pointers and suggestions. They were/are very helpful. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic