Crop V Zoom, a comparison

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Crop V Zoom, a comparison

Post by Cyclops »

I thought i'd ghave a go at this, se if theres much difference.

For this I used some pollen grains at 200X(10xeyepiece/20X obj)
Camera was the Sony Ericsson W850i and I had to use VGA setting(640x480) as I cant zoom when on the 2MP setting.

I'll post them as links tho as I have 3 other images i want to post in the image galleries, and i know you can only post 3 pics per day so....

First the pic using digital zoom
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/D ... n_zoom.jpg

Make - Sony Ericsson
Model - W850i
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
DateTime - 2008:03:07 15:00:16
ExposureTime - 1/15 seconds
FNumber - 2.80
ISOSpeedRatings - 800
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 640
ExifImageHeight - 480
InteroperabilityOffset - 600
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 2.00 x
SceneCaptureType - Standard
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

next the unzoomed image cropped to about the same size

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/D ... n_crop.jpg

Make - Sony Ericsson
Model - W850i
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
DateTime - 2008:03:07 14:59:47
ExposureTime - 1/15 seconds
FNumber - 2.80
ISOSpeedRatings - 500
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
LightSource - Auto
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 640
ExifImageHeight - 532
InteroperabilityOffset - 600
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
SceneCaptureType - Standard
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

Any photo editing done with Irfanview.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Danny

Post by Danny »

Interesting. Noise seems to be more on the digital zoom, but with better detail. The cropped and resized version seems to show jaggies with the jpeg's (blocky jpeg's) and probably to do with resizing.

Looking at the exif there, the DZ is at 2x. Now your FZ7 will do 4x if I'm correct. I have a feeling that when used at 4x there might be a large difference. This is one that I'm fighting with, with the FZ10 at 3x.

What happens then, if we have to crop an optical zoom and then resize that 4x in your case. If at 4x DZ it does not degrade more than at 2x DZ, then where does that leave us when the optical version has to be resized 4x. I have a feeling thats where a big difference will be.

Also I think thats why at 3x DZ, the images look far better than a resized crop from the FZ10. Make sense. Hmm, maybe not.

Excellent exercise for sure and thanks for that. I'll do some tests here with the FZ10, but with added lenses instead of a scope.

I just wish Panasonic (and other brands), would not just increase megapixels on the smaller ccd's, but make the cdd's larger when they do add megapixels. I've never understood that and the megapixel war by itself is crazy if they don't increase the cdd size. :roll:

Anyway, thanks again, nice to see.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Danny

Post by Danny »

BTW, you can still post 3 images a day in this area as well as 3 images a day in all the galleries. This is where we all learn, so don't worry about that. :wink:

Danny.
Last edited by Danny on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

nzmacro wrote:Interesting. Noise seems to be more on the digital zoom, but with better detail. The cropped and resized version seems to show jaggies with the jpeg's (blocky jpeg's) and probably to do with resizing.

Looking at the exif there, the DZ is at 2x. Now your FZ7 will do 4x if I'm correct. I have a feeling that when used at 4x there might be a large difference. This is one that I'm fighting with, with the FZ10 at 3x.
Well actually the FZ7 has a 12X zoom and 48X DZ!

Excellent exercise for sure and thanks for that. I'll do some tests here with the FZ10, but with added lenses instead of a scope.
dont forget these were taken on a mobile phone, with poor light, hence the noise level!

I just wish Panasonic (and other brands), would not just increase megapixels on the smaller ccd's, but make the cdd's larger when they do add megapixels.

I agree! Panasonics have one of the smallest sensor sizes of modern Digis , hence the noise. Set it to 400 ISO and your talking blue golf balls! Great for B/W tho!
They need a bigger sensor, at least APS sized.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Danny

Post by Danny »

Sorry, I didn't read correctly :roll: Its not the FZ7. My mistake, I just took it as the FZ7 and never even thought about the phone :wink:

Want to try this with just the macro on the FZ7 ???. I'll do a fixed setup and try both 2x digital and 3x. Would love to see how the 4x does on the FZ7 in macro with an added lens.

All the best and sorry about that. I need to slow down and read more carefully.

Danny.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

nzmacro wrote:Sorry, I didn't read correctly :roll: Its not the FZ7. My mistake, I just took it as the FZ7 and never even thought about the phone :wink:

Want to try this with just the macro on the FZ7 ???. I'll do a fixed setup and try both 2x digital and 3x. Would love to see how the 4x does on the FZ7 in macro with an added lens.

All the best and sorry about that. I need to slow down and read more carefully.

Danny.
no worries mate.But yea I want to try with the panasonic, when i get the time!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic