Hot pixels

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Brundle Fly

Hot pixels

Post by Brundle Fly »

I was ready to edit this finished stack when I noticed all the streaks of hot pixels including several on the fly itself. I'm wondering if I can salvage the stack or not. Anybody have suggestions on how to deal with them?

cmagno

Post by cmagno »

Hi,

This is sometimes a recurring problem for which I always use the same approach with very positive results.

The workflow described can be adapted to the mechanisms that will be available from the manufacturer of your camera or other software that you use.

The procedure is performed at the same time as processing the RAW images that make up the stack, in my case using the Nikon Capture NX-D.

I select an reference image and remove all Hot Pixels with Auto Retouch Brush.
At the end, all the changes made can be saved in a file in the form of Adjustments or applied immediately in block by selecting the remaining images that are part of the stack.

This can be done this way, because hot pixels always occupy the same position in each image.

Then I convert the images to TIFF or JPEG and start creating the final image with the Focus Stacking software.

The final image is free of all traces caused by Hot Pixels.
The same approach can be followed to remove dust spots on the sensor that often interfere with the final image due to the low apertures used.

I hope this brief explanation helps.

Regards,
Carlos Magno

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic