Further Nikon 1 J5 close-up experiment

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dunksargent

Further Nikon 1 J5 close-up experiment

Post by dunksargent »

Following on from the bank vole photography experiment http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=39333 The Nikon 1 J5 fitted with the Nikkor 1 70-300 VR plus a 99mm length of extension tubes was used yesterday for insect photography at the Langdyke Trust's Swaddywell Reserve near Peterborough, UK. The combination was supported on an ancient Kennet (Benbo) ball head fitted to a vintage Gitzo TATALUX tripod - which collapses to a package just 18" in length (with head still attached). In use, composition / focus is achieved by 'rocking' the camera /lens/tubes combination back and forth whilst pivoted on just two of the tripod legs. With the lens set at the 300mm focal length (810mm FF equivalent) a working distance of approx 1m at approx life size magnification is possible. Actual magnification still to be calculated. The following mating flies' images are not cropped - they are 'as seen' in the finder and were taken at f16, ISO 800 c.1/100 sec in bright sunlight; in retrospect a wider aperture was probably possible - something to try next trip. The J5 has the best sensor (20.8 MP) of all the Nikon 1 series but it was an 'entry level' plastic camera with no built-in EVF and no provision for an accessory EVF - hence use of the accessory Zacuto optical finder to magnify the monitor's live view image. The 1" format cannot provide images of FF quality but they're adequate for PDI and WEB illustration purposes. Further experiments are planned with a view to improving image quality.

Best wishes

dunk

EDIT 13 April: In retrospect these images could likely have been improved had a wider aperture been used. They were taken at f16 but at approx. life size ... thus equivalent aperture f' as per formula f'= f(m+1) is f32 … which is into diffraction territory and must be affecting image clarity.

Additionally, the 1" sensor's 2.7x crop factor may have an effect on DOF. To the best of my knowledge the DOF is increased by a factor of 2.7 … in the same way that e.g. on M4/3 format , an f1.2 lens only has the DOF equivalent to an f2.4 FF lens when used at full aperture (due to 2x crop factor). Thus wide aperture M4/3 lenses are not as suitable for differential focus full aperture imaging as regular FF wide aperture lenses. However, does this 'crop factor DOF adjustment ' hold true for high magnification images?

I need to return to the Swaddywell nature reserve and try and take similar insect photos with the Nikon 1 J5 using wider lens apertures. If foregoing theory is correct, should be possible to use e.g. set aperture f8 at approx life size magnification to give actual f16. However, with a 1" sensor's 2.7x crop factor, would this result in a DOF similar to that obtained at 2.7x 16 i.e. f43.2 on FF format?.

Comments most welcome.

Swaddywell nature reserve is an ancient disused limestone quarry where the terrain on the actual limestone cliff geological fault is very undulating. Rocks fall from the cliff and there are myriads of crevices which attract many types of insects. In sunny weather the rocks heat up offering warm perches - especially for butterflies.

I've no idea which actual species this is … any advice of both common and latin name would be much appreciated. Thank you.

And now for something completely different.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

All very interesting. The image quality is fairly good, given the handicaps that you mention. I am looking forward to seeing what can be done at a wider aperture.
Do you see vibrations thru the magnified viewfinder? It would be hard to imagine not having them with this rig, and one expects they would be the sort that would last for an extended period once they start.

The flies are going to be hard to identify since they are one of the many innocuous species in the family Muscidae.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

Mark, The rig used is fairly stable when pivoted on just two tripod legs … and with my own legs and arms added there are six supports acting together. Some movement is seen in the finder but the camera/lens' image stabilisation seems to counteract any vibrations.

The following five images, with lens apertures deliberately varied between f5.6 and f10, were taken yesterday at the Swaddywell reserve's limestone cliff location using the same Nikon 1 J5 / Nikkor 1 70-300mm VR / 99mm extension tubes. Images are approx. half life size to life size on the sensor. The limestone cliff enables imaging at head height thus little stooping / bending required. Insects settle on the cliff face to bask in the Sun.

With exception of the second image, are all 'as shot' i.e. no cropping.

f5.6 1/640 ISO 400

f5.6 1/500sec ISO 400 … original image slightly cropped

f6.3 1/400sec ISO 400

f9 1/250sec ISO 400

f10 1/30sec ISO 400 EDIT 15 April: This blow fly image (which is not cropped) illustrates the extended 'Depth of Field' possible when using a 1" sensor camera i.e. the Nikon 1 J5 … fitted with Nikkor 1 70-300mm VR lens (189-810mm FF equivalent). Image details: 224mm lens (604mm FF equivalent) and 99mm extension tubes, ISO 400, 1/30 sec, f10 at approx 0.5x magnification. Thus effective aperture of 1.5 x f10 = f15 … but, due to 1" sensor format's 2.7x crop factor, probably has DOF equivalent to using an aperture of 2.7 x f15 i.e., f40.5 on FF format.

The 1" sensor appears to enable sufficient DOF to examine most of the flies' details even when used at f5.6

Lighting could be improved thus on the next trip plan to use a large reflector to 'fill in' the shadows i.e. large enough to illuminate the visible cliff face in front of the camera.

It's fascinating looking through the Zakuto finder to witness the flies 'preening' their head, wings, abdomen and thorax with their legs.

I tried some video for the first time yesterday but my video technique is not yet of good enough quality for posting.

The Nikon 1 'third party' tubes combination comprises: 1) Three KOOKA tubes (21mm, 16mm and 10mm) which have interior fabric flocking; 2) Two NSI tubes ((10mm and 16mm) - not flocked but have matt black plastic 'baffled' interiors; and 3) Two POLAROID tubes (10mm and 16mm) with plain matt black interiors which reflect torchlight.

Not entirely happy with the images because there appears to be some haziness which could be due to internal reflections in the multiple tubes. Now plan to flock the POLAROID brand tube interiors with self-adhesive black velour fabric - as used to eliminate astronomical telescopes' internal reflections.

Best wishes

dunk
Last edited by dunksargent on Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That really is remarkable!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

An interesting experiment, I've been interested in trying a J5 because of the small pixel pitch. I think even with mag. below 5x there is resolution to be gained.

I tried telephoto primes on extensions once and was disappointed, they seemed to get soft quickly. A 300mm zoom is probably not close to functioning in high acuity. That's not to knock the effort. One meter working distance is crazy!

My last effort at being very obnoxious was using a 200mm Takumar preset with a Leitz closeup filter. That gave approx 1:1 at 8 inches. You can see my results recently posted on my Flickr account. Cheers!

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

Another J5 c/u experiment at Swaddywell Nature Reserve on July 4

Male Lestes sponsa (Emerald damselfly)

Nikon 1 J5, Nikon 1 30-110mm f3.8/5.6 at 97.2mm (262mm FF equiv); third party 16mm auto extension tube; handheld 1/200sec f8 ISO 400

Best wishes

dunk

[Admin edit RJL: to fix image reference]

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Dunk, for some unknown reason your previous post was showing a broken image icon, trying to reference http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... onsa_2.jpg which was not found on our server. I edited the reference to be ..._1.jpg , which would be the first file by that name to be stored. If this is not showing the correct image, please feel free to upload what it should be, and edit or do a new post as appropriate.

--Rik

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

rjlittlefield wrote:Dunk, for some unknown reason your previous post was showing a broken image icon, trying to reference http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... onsa_2.jpg which was not found on our server. I edited the reference to be ..._1.jpg , which would be the first file by that name to be stored. If this is not showing the correct image, please feel free to upload what it should be, and edit or do a new post as appropriate.

--Rik
Thank you Rik. I experienced problems this morning and had to abandon the first attempt at posting the Male Lestes sponsa … but the second attempt was OK … Image posted is the correct item

Regards

dunk

Troels

Post by Troels »

I like the damselfly picture very much.
Nice colors and environment.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

Thank you Troels

dunk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic