www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Growing L-Glutamine & Beta Alanine crystals
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Growing L-Glutamine & Beta Alanine crystals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Parsons

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Growing L-Glutamine & Beta Alanine crystals Reply with quote

I have seen some beautiful images of L-Glutamine & Beta Alanine crystals photographed with polarized light. I have tried numerous times to grow som of these crystals on a microscope slide without success. Do any of you have a technique that works?
spongepuppy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

I assume you mean this sort of thing:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiJWTN9AsSd/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtyDkD4hQBG/

The proportion of the two solutes is critical to achieving these forms - I generally start from a solution of 4:1 (v/v) of beta-alanine to l-glutamine and vary concentrations until I get something that works.

Ensure that your slides are extremely clean - if they are even slightly hydrophobic the results are generally unusable.
Harald

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you both for bringing this up Very Happy

Quote:
The proportion of the two solutes is critical to achieving these forms - I generally start from a solution of 4:1 (v/v) of beta-alanine to l-glutamine and vary concentrations until I get something that works.

Now I've tried this and made notes of the concentration. Hope to get something to work. At least its a good starting point Very Happy

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: