High-end 1x Lens Test: Looking for Suggestions Please

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

High-end 1x Lens Test: Looking for Suggestions Please

Post by RobertOToole »

As of today shooting I'm about 50% done with shooting a high-end 1x lens shoot-out and I was looking for some help with any suggestions, ideas, or requests.

Cameras: Full Frame Sony A7R3 in both normal and HR/pixel-shift modes with target A, APS-C with the Sony A6300 with target B.

Lenses that have been tested, yes, There are a few eye-openers already :D

Nikon Scanner-Nikkor ED at 1x
Schneider Macro-Varon at 1x
Schneider Makro-Symmar 5.6/120 at 1x
Voigtlander APO-Lanthar SLI 2.5/125 Macro at 1x

Waiting to be tested:

Printing-Nikkor 105 A
Sigma 2.8/150 OS macro lens

On the list to test:

New Sigma 70mm Art lens
New Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 110
Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens

Any lens suggestions?

To keep the lens list as low as possible I am planning to skip all but the very best lenses. I plan to skip the Canon MP-E 65, Canon 100mm OS, Sigma 180, APO-Rodagon 1x, since they are older designs and not at the same level as the rest due to CAs. I would like to test a Zeiss lens but other than the 74mm 1:1, I don't know of any that are designed to cover 1x. All the newest Zeiss/Cosina lenses are only 1:2 AFAIK.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Good to see you are testing in pixel-shift mode. This may better distinguish between high-end lenses that would otherwise give similar-looking results.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The 108LFOV is very good, but the f5.6 is going to limit it.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:The 108LFOV is very good, but the f5.6 is going to limit it.
Yes, that's true Ray, not to mention that I have seen a single unit for sale on eBay in the last 6 years. That's a rare lens! :shock:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

If I can only come up with the right pair of lenses to stack for 1x.

Two M-Componon 4/80s?

Two f2.8 or 3.5 lenses would be better.

:?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:If I can only come up with the right pair of lenses to stack for 1x.

Two M-Componon 4/80s?

A pair of f5.6 will yield an f2.8, so if you're going for combos this opens up the field a bit. I've always been impressed by the 135mm and 150mm EL-Nikkors, but their f5.6 was always a problem. I have never tried a pair stacked. Maybe worth a try, along with a pair of 108LFOV...

edited to add: have you ever tried a stack of two 120MS?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It's good that you will include some stacked-lens tests. This magnification is where stacked lenses have the biggest EA advantage over lenses focused by extension.

I like Ray's idea of two 120mm M-S. Longer focal lengths should be better.
Last edited by Lou Jost on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:If I can only come up with the right pair of lenses to stack for 1x.

Two M-Componon 4/80s?

A pair of f5.6 will yield an f2.8, so if you're going for combos this opens up the field a bit. I've always been impressed by the 135mm and 150mm EL-Nikkors, but their f5.6 was always a problem. I have never tried a pair stacked. Maybe worth a try, along with a pair of 108LFOV...

edited to add: have you ever tried a stack of two 120MS?
Yes, I did try the two Makro-symmars stacked. I need to look up the results. The pair was nothing spectacular.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I just tried a pair of 135EL...not!

A pair of 108LFOV were better but still not great. In fact didn't seem as good as on extension.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Two nifty fifties?
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Two stacked Cosina 110s?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

It's clear: Schneider Apo-Xenoplan 35mm 1.8
Well to my certain knowledge Robert had two of those in his possession so it would have occured to him!
It's a C-mount lens, so the FOV wouldn't work unless you reversed the one on the camera - then you wouldn't get 1:1 unless you focused on the aerial image, which isn't the same optical setup.
That's correct, I think :?:

Edit: FOV = Field of View - actually I should have written Image Circle
Reversed, the thing will cover any sensor - but not at 1:1.
Last edited by ChrisR on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris R

Antal

Post by Antal »

ChrisR wrote: It's a C-mount lens, so the FOV wouldn't work unless you reversed the one on the camera - then you wouldn't get 1:1 unless you focused on the aerial image, which isn't the same optical setup.
Sorry, I don't understand your quote. What's FOV?

Edit: Googled the spec of the lens, image circle is 11mm. So no way even on APC-sensors. I did just know the teasering by Robert by now, but seeing the spec of the lens, I understand now, why there was no pictures after the teaser!

enricosavazzi

Re: High-end 1x Lens Test: Looking for Suggestions Please

Post by enricosavazzi »

RobertOToole wrote:[...] Any lens suggestions? [...]
That is a pretty complete list already.

Among lenses that I have, the Zeiss 74 mm is a legacy design known to have a high resolution but low contrast and dynamic range, so it is not now among the best. The "famous" Jenoptic/CoastalOpt 60 mm Apo does not offer native 1:1 and is only f/4, so it is also out. The Zuiko Digital 60 mm does reach 1:1 but barely covers Micro 4/3, so I guess it is also out because all other tested lenses cover larger sensors. Otherwise it might be interesting to test because it is affordable, as well as so far almost the only native macro lens for Micro 4/3 format with a decent focal length.

One or two of the Micro Nikkors might qualify, for example one of the more modern iterations of the 200 mm, in spite of being f/4. They are not especially modern designs, but neither are the Scanner Nikkor 100 mm and Printing-Nikkor 105 A.
--ES

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

It would be interesting to see how the tiny Minolta DSE 5400 compares to those at 1X on APS-C.
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic