Wim's stack set up.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

Wim's stack set up.

Post by Wim van Egmond »

One of the reasons why I have never posted any picture of my set up is because my working room is always an incredible mess. :oops: Oh, I do envy those organised tables of some of my collegues in the forum. :)

My set up is not perfect, some aspects could be cleverer but perhaps some parts of it may be interesting. My father helped me to make the special devices for holding insects in any position. Works with magnets and thin copper plate added to the squeezers so they squeeze gently. I can manipulate the insects quite easily this way.

I use 2 flashes on each side of the soup cup. I use a Leitz photar on bellows. The camera, a D200 and 1 flash is used to take these snapshots. For the backgrounds I use pieces of coloured paper, from magazines, the tax paper envelopes also work well. Many of my pictures have tax paper blue backgrounds. :)

the top picture is a bit confusing, the insect is on a needle behind the set up. see second image.

You can see this set up because it can rotate a bit and can move sideways also works well for 3D imaging.

It may seem that parts of the stage will be in view in teh background of the images I make but that is not the case. It is usually positioned higher. I moved it back and downwards to show the mechanism.

I've also made a snapshot of my microscope desk but I am not sure if I should post it. :)

Wim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim,
Always fun and informative to see the various ways people set this all up. It always provides new ideas and variations to pop up in mind.
Thanks for showing us. Do post the shot of your microscope table!
Oh, I do envy those organised tables of some of my collegues in the forum
If, by some (mistaken) chance you may have included the one of two shots of my set-ups that I have posted in those "organised tables" I have only one reaction... :smt043 :wink: :smt043

I have a big sheet of white foam-core that I prop up directly behind whatever I'm taking a picture of for two reasons:

1) Simple embarrassment :oops:
2) You could never discern anything on the tabletop because of all the background clutter.

I can actually lose the tweezers or roll of tape I was just using 2 minutes ago without ever getting out of my chair!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Charles Krebs wrote:I have a big sheet of white foam-core that I prop up directly behind whatever I'm taking a picture of...
Mine is blue tagboard. If it doesn't hide enough stuff I use a pink sheet. :roll:

Thanks for posting, Wim. Very informative. :D

--Rik

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Phew, so I am not the only disorderly microscopist around:).

At the moment I have my stereomicroscope (an old Russian one) somewhere else but this is an image of my work table. But I will post another one when I am fulluy operational, that will take some time. I am planning to put a computer next to the table so I can create a better workflow.

I use a Zeiss universal, it has a flash a friend of mine made. it is huge but that is because he had a lot of spare metal. :)

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Thanks much Wim for showing your set-up. I can recognize a Proxxon milling/drilling table of the type that I´ve bought recently. Now, seeing it in your set-up I know that it will work for the intended purpose. :D

And it´s encouraging and comforting to know that the people around here who are capable of taking those gorgeous photos do have problems with fighting entropy sometimes as well as I do. :wink: :smt041

Best wishes,
Betty

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

:) Yes and perhaps as a means of compensation I tend to make images that are very organised! :)

I hope you'll succeed in getting your stacking table working, Betty!

Wim

Graham Stabler

Post by Graham Stabler »

Hi,

I very much like your ball-joint positioners especially the v-grooves to provide a simple seat for the ball!

I'm a fan of Proxxon having converted the milling machine that uses that table to CNC, they are suprisingly accurate and the 1mm lead provides excellent resolution.

Cheers,

Graham

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic