Minimum size of optical breadboard

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Smokedaddy wrote: Since I'm working on another project for someone and was at the supplier this morning, I asked what the price of a 1/2" x 6" x 18" 6061 Aluminum was. It was $48.00.
Incidentally, that's exactly what I paid for the Thorlabs breadboard. Well, that, and almost as much in shipping.

There's one caveat, though. The breadboard is tapped with metric holes. M6 to be precise. For the most part I don't think it'll be much of an issue. I've converged on using exclusively M3 and M6 screws for all of my DIY projects.. But for some things like flash arms 1/4" UNC would be more convenient.

Looking at the dimensions, it seems like it should be possible to expand some of the M6 holes into 1/4" threaded holes. Or, to avoid messing with the breadboard, turn the 1/4" threads on the flash holder into M6 threads with a die. It seems like it should work. Anyone tried this?
If mounting flashes is a concern with M6 thread, there are some cold shoe clamps that have a center counter sinked (sunken? :-) ) hole for 1/4", I guess you can use a M6 instead to fasten the cold shoe clamp on the breadboard. The M6 screw has to be flat headed. Just a thought.

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

mawyatt wrote:I also got the One Sided 95mm Precision extrusion which bolts to the base. This allows things like the various 95mm Precision clamps & fixtures to be mounted and easily moved with just loosing a couple bolts.

The Thor base is very flexible and with the 95mm Precision extrusion makes a very flexible core setup for our macro use. The Thor clamps for this 95mm system are extremely secure, much more so than anything I've used, but very easy to use and move.
I am not very well aquinted with the Thorlabs universe, but had a look at the one-sided 95mm extrusion. That looks extremely versatile! My current plan is to bolt some 400mm worth of ARCA rail on top of the baseboard for a similar functionality, but the cheap arca clamps can't exactly be described as secure or easy to use. I'll keep this in mind for future upgrades when funds allow.

viktor j nilsson

Smokedaddy wrote: PS: I should also mention that when you purchase aluminum plate or strap (steel etc.) that it's not completely 'flat' compared to a optical bread board and if you wanted it that way you'd have to face mill the surfaces.
This was actually my No.1 concern about the DIY solution - I strongly suspected that the cheap aluminum plates would be far from flat, and simply had no idea what I would do if they showed up untolerably warped.

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Smokedaddy wrote: Looking at the dimensions, it seems like it should be possible to expand some of the M6 holes into 1/4" threaded holes. Or, to avoid messing with the breadboard, turn the 1/4" threads on the flash holder into M6 threads with a die. It seems like it should work. Anyone tried this?
I have arranged M6 threads to 1/4 "many times, without problems.

I see here many problems with machining ... finally a topic in this forum in which I feel safe Ha, Ha, Ha !!!

Drilling and threading metal plates has no secret, it is only dangerous with plates too thin. I would not think of steel for this use, aluminum is much easier to machine. If it is an attempt to make the plate heavier, it is easier and cheaper to get a piece of marble or granite from the local supplier of kitchen supplies and fix the aluminum plate on top.

The most accurate way to make holes in a plate is ... not to do it ourselves. Except for very simple things, I never do the drills. I simply draw in a technical soft what I need, I export it in dwg and I give it to be cut by laser. It's almost as cheap as buying the metal plate ... and the holes are already made. If we dimension them properly, we only have to screw directly, or maybe drill with a bit to finish adjusting the diameter. By the way, to help the thread can be lubricated with a drop of engine oil that was left over from the last oil change in your car.
If the holes we want are too small, it is possible that the workshop to cut by laser has some problem, but they can mark us a small cross indicating the correct position of each hole.

----------

I can help here if you do not have the drawing for laser cutting and drilling. We just talk about it when you need it.
Last edited by soldevilla on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

viktor j nilsson

soldevilla wrote: I have arranged M6 threads to 1/4 "many times, without problems.
Thanks! Good to have that verified.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic