WeMacro Vertical Stand Modification

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

WeMacro Vertical Stand Modification

Post by mawyatt »

I've been developing an experimental Precision Stack & Stitch setup and initially used the WeMacro Vertical Stand since it was small, portable and great value, but I've wanted to increase the "stiffness" of the main 40mm bar that parallels the optical axis.

Here’s a few images of some simple modifications on the WeMacro Vertical Stand to increase stiffness. When used as a Vertical Stand adding a long 35mm M8 bolt with washer thru the base bottom into the 40mm bar which has been tapped with a M8 thread significantly increases setup stiffness. This just requires drilling a single hole in the base and tapping the center hole of 40mm bar. Give this a try and see for yourself!!

When the Vertical Stand is used with the horizontal option the vertical ARCA plate can benefit from this same concept, adding a long bolt to the 40mm bar center to hold the ARCA plate in addition to the 1/4-20 flat head photo bolt to the “L” clamp. In the images here I used a longer (700mm) Misumi 40mm bar instead of the supplied shorter 40mm bar and the Misumi bar has a 10.5mm hole in the bar center, so here I used a 7/16” tap and bolt and just drilled out a hole in the ARCA plate for the 7/16 bolt to pass thru. Simple but very effective.

Best,

Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

One thing I'll recommend is swapping out the cheap rubber feet with some sorbothane dampers: https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9. ... up_id=6421

These are very cheap and works well. Just make sure the guide they provide is followed. The ones with highest rated capacity per feet isn't necessarily the best, it will do the opposite -- amplifying vibrations.

A pack comes with 4 feet, unlike some companies charging similar prices for just one... :D

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Personally I like the rubber feed on the WeMacro, but if you do go with sorbothane feet, get the ones that screw in place rather than adhesive type. My experience with the adhesive types is that they slip over time due to the heavy weight of these systems, and you'll suddenly find the feet almost falling off, or literally having moved several inches!

Pau
Site Admin

Re: WeMacro Vertical Stand Modification

Post by Pau »

mawyatt wrote:When used as a Vertical Stand adding a long 35mm M8 bolt with washer thru the base bottom into the 40mm bar which has been tapped with a M8 thread significantly increases setup stiffness.]
At the first reading I didn't understand this well, of course at a second reading at the computer I did but my initial interpretation seems to me a worth to experiment idea:

If you use a smaller diameter bolt inside all the long of the aluminum profile hole and you just hold it with two nuts and washers at the extremes the stiffness could improve making a sort of composite material being the pressure of the steel soul over the aluminum profile ends able to regulate its properties...Maybe just a stupid thought
Pau

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

I have both Sorbathane and the standard WeMacro supplied feet with screw mounting. Using the Sorbathane feet on my Thor Labs Precision setup for past ~10 years.

Like Ray, I don't think the WeMacro feet are that bad but I haven't made a measured comparison, certainly the Sorbanthane are better.

If I order more stuff from Thor Labs I'll probably get more of the Sorbathan feet. I like Robert's elegant lens setup with the Thor 52mm threaded tubes, clamps and such, so I may be ordering from Thor Labs soon :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Pau wrote:If you use a smaller diameter bolt inside all the long of the aluminum profile hole and you just hold it with two nuts and washers at the extremes the stiffness could improve making a sort of composite material being the pressure of the steel soul over the aluminum profile ends able to regulate its properties...Maybe just a stupid thought
This is exactly what I thought mawyatt was describing in an earlier post. You can get more force holding the post down this way vs threading into the bottom.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Pau,

I didn't do a good job of explaining things, especially if you don't have a WeMacro Stand.

The WeMacro base has 3 triangular based right angle braces which hold the vertical 40mm square bar to the base, this is heavy duty quality hardware and secures the bar vertically to the base well (see first image bottom, sorry this is rotated 90 degrees). To improve the vertical bar to base "stiffness" I've drilled a hole in the base (OOF hole in bottom of second image) that lines up with the center hole of the 40mm vertical bar which is tapped with an M8 thread (shown in the top of the second image). A long M8 bolt & washer (mid-right in second image) then holds the vertical bar to the base with the bolt coming from the bottom side of the base (shown in last image between the rubber feet and the 3 bolt ends that attach the right angle braces to the base on the base front side).

Anyway, hope this helps,

Best,
~Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Pau wrote:If you use a smaller diameter bolt inside all the long of the aluminum profile hole and you just hold it with two nuts and washers at the extremes the stiffness could improve making a sort of composite material being the pressure of the steel soul over the aluminum profile ends able to regulate its properties...Maybe just a stupid thought
This is exactly what I thought mawyatt was describing in an earlier post. You can get more force holding the post down this way vs threading into the bottom.
Ray, Pau,

The rod would need to be less than ~7mm dia to clear the 40mm extrusion bar center hole, so you would need a ~500mm long less than 7mm dia rod threaded at both ends.

That wouldn't work anyway with the WeMacro stand because the long inserted rod would block the thru holes that allow the ARCA clamp to be attached (see 1st image) to the 40mm vertical bar, of course then you could use "T" nuts to hold the ARCA clamp.

I just wanted something simple and cheap to do, with stuff I had on hand or could get at the local hardware store.

Best,
Last edited by mawyatt on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Mike, yes, the macro stand and your modification are both clear. My idea is different, it seems that Ray finds it interesting.
EDIT: we were writing at the same time, so I didn't read your response
Last edited by Pau on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

mawyatt wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Ray, Pau,

The rod would need to be less than ~7mm dia to clear the 40mm extrusion bar center hole, so you would need a ~500mm long less than 7mm dia rod threaded at both ends.

Edited to add: you could always use two bolts, on on each side. That would mess up the use of the side brackets, but I don't think they'd be needed.

That wouldn't work anyway with the WeMacro stand because the long inserted rod would block the thru holes that allow the ARCA clamp to be attached (see 1st image) to the 40mm vertical bar. Of course you could use "T" nuts to hold the ARCA clamp.

I just wanted something simple and cheap to do, with stuff I had on hand or could get at the local hardware store.

Best,
Well, most of these long bolts available at hardware stores in the US are 1/4", so that works. Plus I always thought using through bolts on an extruded post was very odd. I converted mine over to using the standard clamping system.

Edited to add: Or use two bolts, one on each side. This would interfere with the side supports, but they would no longer be needed.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
mawyatt wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Ray, Pau,

Edited to add: you could always use two bolts, on on each side. That would mess up the use of the side brackets, but I don't think they'd be needed.

That wouldn't work anyway with the WeMacro stand because the long inserted rod would block the thru holes that allow the ARCA clamp to be attached (see 1st image) to the 40mm vertical bar. Of course you could use "T" nuts to hold the ARCA clamp.

Best,
Well, most of these long bolts available at hardware stores in the US are 1/4", so that works. Plus I always thought using through bolts on an extruded post was very odd. I converted mine over to using the standard clamping system.
It may be odd (thru hole ARCA clamp mounting) but is simple and it actually works quite well indeed!!

Best,
~Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
mawyatt wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Ray, Pau,

Best,

Edited to add: Or use two bolts, one on each side. This would interfere with the side supports, but they would no longer be needed.
Ray,

You should build one up and do some measurements. I would be interested in seeing how well this works!!

Best,
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

mawyatt wrote: Ray,

You should build one up and do some measurements. I would be interested in seeing how well this works!!

Best,
I may do that. It's a fairly cheap way to build a stand.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

ray_parkhurst wrote:

Best,
Yes they are, the components alone in small quantities cost more than William is charging!

The one thing that would concern me is that the vertical bar isn't secured anywhere except at the very top where the long rod is bolted to the bar, whereas with the threaded bolt the bar is secured by the engaged teeth at the bottom up to the length of the bolt, where a longer bolt would be beneficial. If I ever get back to the hardware store I'll see if they have a threaded rod long enough and thin enough to fit.

One idea that would surely work better would be to to use the Misumi 40mm extruded bar instead of the WeMacro supplied bar. This has a 10.5mm dia center hole so it could accommodate a larger dia. threaded rod.

Best,
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

mawyatt wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:

Best,
Yes they are, the components alone in small quantities cost more than William is charging!

The one thing that would concern me is that the vertical bar isn't secured anywhere except at the very top where the long rod is bolted to the bar, whereas with the threaded bolt the bar is secured by the engaged teeth at the bottom up to the length of the bolt, where a longer bolt would be beneficial. If I ever get back to the hardware store I'll see if they have a threaded rod long enough and thin enough to fit.

One idea that would surely work better would be to to use the Misumi 40mm extruded bar instead of the WeMacro supplied bar. This has a 10.5mm dia center hole so it could accommodate a larger dia. threaded rod.

Best,
Very likely I would end up buying the Misumi bar, as the price is good and the docs are excellent.

Are you saying that the WeMacro bar is already tapped for M8?

A single 1/4" threaded rod should do the trick. All you need is sufficient force to keep the outer surfaces in contact at all times with the mounting surface. Bigger and stronger is not really needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic