www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Morpho Achilles Lima -- Two Stacks
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Morpho Achilles Lima -- Two Stacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macro_Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Morpho Achilles Lima -- Two Stacks Reply with quote

This is becoming my favourite butterfly! The amount of detail and colours is staggering. I am new to spreading butterfly specimens, caused quite a lot of damage to the specimen when attempting to spread them.

The zoning colours are very pleasing even at an eye level of magnification. When magnified, it's even better!

First stack:

https://flic.kr/p/2cRqGLu

Second:

https://flic.kr/p/2bd3Gcy
Ulrik T√łnnesen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing captures Shocked
I'm very interested in knowing how you lit the specimen, it looks wonderfully done. I might be able to get a cheap or maybe even free supply of butterfly wings soon, so I had like to make the best of it Very Happy
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very nicely done. I love butterfly wings too, especially Morpho. In your pictures,especially the second one, you can clearly see the difference between the wider, light blue cover scales and the narrower, dark blue ground scales. The relative sizes and arrangement of these scale types determines whether the Morpho species is shiny and reflective like a mirror, or a softer less directional pearly blue.
santiago

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, the second one is my favourite.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro_cosmos, on your flickr page you mention that these are a blend of two exposures. They are very nicely blended. Did you take two separate stacks, one of each exposure, and then blend, or did you take two bracketed shots at each step, blend them, and then stack? Or did you take just one image at each step and develop the RAW file at two different brightnesses? Whatever you did, it worked well.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I see on your flickr page that you were considering removing some of the transparent scales to show the blue scales, but you discarded the idea because it was too tedious. People who study morphos sometimes have removed those scales using transparent tape. Very fast and easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: