Heavy duty copy stand?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

blades

Heavy duty copy stand?

Post by blades »

Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of a heavy duty copy stand? Looking to photograph coins. I looked at the Kaiser RS2 but found it a little flimsy for my needs.

Thanks in advance
take nothing but pictures

mawyatt

Re: Heavy duty copy stand?

Post by mawyatt »

blades wrote:Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of a heavy duty copy stand? Looking to photograph coins. I looked at the Kaiser RS2 but found it a little flimsy for my needs.

Thanks in advance
Not a copy stand but very good value is the WeMacro Vertical Stand if you are considering a focus rail. Also has a horizontal option for both vertical and horizontal use.

Best & Happy New
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

blades wrote:Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of a heavy duty copy stand? Looking to photograph coins. I looked at the Kaiser RS2 but found it a little flimsy for my needs.

Thanks in advance
Most coin photographers rave about the Kaiser stands, but I agree with you that they are not as sturdy as I'd like. The WeMacro stand for sure is more robust, but it does not come with a fine vertical adjustment (manual) so you would need to add something for that.

What focal length lens are you using? This will determine how tall the stand needs to be, or perhaps you already know?

Are you only shooting full-coin images? Or do you plan to do variety detail shots?

Are you good at DIY? Or do you need a turnkey solution, or something in between?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

As you're in Aberdeen, keep a look out locally for Measuring Microscopes/stands.
They're about as rigid as you'll get.
They're always "collection only" because of the weight.
I left a bid on one which was 30 miles away, starting at £50, so my bid took it to £55, and I more or less forgot about it.
I could see from the pictures it had the trinoc head, eyepieces, epi illuminator, rotating/micrometer adjusting base, but it didn't show the 5 Nikon ELWD objectives.
Nobody else bid.
Chris R

blades

Post by blades »

ray_parkhurst wrote:

Thanks in advance
Most coin photographers rave about the Kaiser stands, but I agree with you that they are not as sturdy as I'd like. The WeMacro stand for sure is more robust, but it does not come with a fine vertical adjustment (manual) so you would need to add something for that.

What focal length lens are you using? This will determine how tall the stand needs to be, or perhaps you already know?

Are you only shooting full-coin images? Or do you plan to do variety detail shots?

Are you good at DIY? Or do you need a turnkey solution, or something in between?
Thank you for your reply. I’m mostly looking to record metal detecting finds... particularly roman coins. Currently, I have a Sony A7III and a 90mm F2.8 Lens , although this may change as I progress. DIY, depends on the level, but I’d have a go for sure.
In Scotland when you find items of interest, there is a procedure of showing these items to the Treasure Trove of Scotland for assessment... I like to send them very clear, hi res images of my finds. Height of the stand... so far I think I need about 1000mm so although I like the look of the WeMacro, it may be to small for me.

blades

Post by blades »

ChrisR wrote:As you're in Aberdeen, keep a look out locally for Measuring Microscopes/stands.
They're about as rigid as you'll get.
They're always "collection only" because of the weight.
I left a bid on one which was 30 miles away, starting at £50, so my bid took it to £55, and I more or less forgot about it.
I could see from the pictures it had the trinoc head, eyepieces, epi illuminator, rotating/micrometer adjusting base, but it didn't show the 5 Nikon ELWD objectives.
Nobody else bid.
Thanks, are these stands you mention particular to Aberdeen?

blades

Post by blades »

mawyatt wrote:

Thanks in advance
Not a copy stand but very good value is the WeMacro Vertical Stand if you are considering a focus rail. Also has a horizontal option for both vertical and horizontal use.

Best & Happy New
Thanks Mike, I have looked at the WeMacro, I do like it but I think it’s to short for my needs.

pierre

Heavy duty copy stand

Post by pierre »

The Polaroid MP3 is quite a heavy one.
Tested and used OK.
Regards

Pierre

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Blades,

Depending on your budget and the amount of DIY you're willing to engage in, you might want to look at second-hand specimens of the Velmex BiSlide. These come in a wide variety of lengths. If purchased new, they are pretty expensive. But on the used market, one can occasionally find bargains. ("Bargain" meaning paying maybe $250 for a BiSlide that cost $2500 new.)

Velmex makes two main lines of linear actuators--the UniSlide and the BiSlide. I have multiple specimens from each line. While both are very good, robust linear actuators, the BiSlides are better for vertical rigs. (A look at the Velmex Website will show you why.) I'm in the process of configuring a BiSlide-based vertical rig that I'm confident will work well up to 100x magnification.

To integrate a BiSlide into a vertical rig, you'd want to make a heavy base and connect the BiSlide to it. To actuate the traveling stage on the BiSlide, my approach is to program an Arduino to drive a stepper motor. Some folks would consider this child's play; others rocket science. I found myself in between, but closer to "child's play"--it involved a few evenings of interesting programming/problem solving.

Cheers,

--Chris S.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

blades wrote:
mawyatt wrote:

Thanks in advance

Best & Happy New
Thanks Mike, I have looked at the WeMacro, I do like it but I think it’s to short for my needs.
I believe that the vertical post can be replaced.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

blades wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:

Thanks in advance

Thank you for your reply. I’m mostly looking to record metal detecting finds... particularly roman coins. Currently, I have a Sony A7III and a 90mm F2.8 Lens , although this may change as I progress. DIY, depends on the level, but I’d have a go for sure.
In Scotland when you find items of interest, there is a procedure of showing these items to the Treasure Trove of Scotland for assessment... I like to send them very clear, hi res images of my finds. Height of the stand... so far I think I need about 1000mm so although I like the look of the WeMacro, it may be to small for me.
What is the farthest you've needed to be away from the largest coin or other item you have photographed? 1M seems quite far for the 90mm lens. That's more like what you would need for a 200mm lens IME.

But assuming 1M, deanimator is right that the WeMacro post can be easily replaced. This will give you the height, but you will still need an easy way to move the camera up/down. I've had good luck with the 480mm Arca plate from Andoer. This could be mounted on the 1M post with hardware from the WeMacro kit, and the camera attached to the plate with Arca clamp that also comes with the kit.

You may also want to consider a "cradle" which would hold your camera more firmly. mawyatt posted about these a while back and perhaps can give the details.

Edited to add: here's a silver post. I assume black are also available. Would someone with a WeMacro stand please confirm the post is 40x40mm?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8020-T-Slot-40 ... :rk:7:pf:0

And here is the 480mm plate:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Andoer-480mm-D ... 2749.l2649
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

blades wrote:
mawyatt wrote:

Thanks in advance

Best & Happy New
As Deanimator mentioned the WeMacro vertical bar is a 40mm square bar that can be replaced with a longer bar if you wish. I got a longer (600mm) bar from Misumi which is used for the horizontal setup, you can see it here.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... i&start=30

These Misumi bars are inexpensive (~$20) and very sturdy. If you decide this route with a longer bar I would consider tapping the center hole of the Misumi bar and drilling a hole in the base so a long bolt can come up thru the base bottom and into the center hole, this should add some additional stiffness to the setup. I'm going to do this when I get some free time.

These Wemacro Vertical Stands are surprisingly good and well thought out for our macro use (even includes ARCA clamp to hold the focus rail and a XY positioning stage for the subject), and they are very reasonably priced. I'm using one for an experimental DIY Stack & Stitch system I'm developing.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... ght=misumi

Best & Happy Holidays,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
blades wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:

Thanks in advance

What is the farthest you've needed to be away from the largest coin or other item you have photographed? 1M seems quite far for the 90mm lens. That's more like what you would need for a 200mm lens IME.

But assuming 1M, deanimator is right that the WeMacro post can be easily replaced. This will give you the height, but you will still need an easy way to move the camera up/down. I've had good luck with the 480mm Arca plate from Andoer. This could be mounted on the 1M post with hardware from the WeMacro kit, and the camera attached to the plate with Arca clamp that also comes with the kit.

You may also want to consider a "cradle" which would hold your camera more firmly. mawyatt posted about these a while back and perhaps can give the details.

Edited to add: here's a silver post. I assume black are also available. Would someone with a WeMacro stand please confirm the post is 40x40mm?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8020-T-Slot-40 ... :rk:7:pf:0

And here is the 480mm plate:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Andoer-480mm-D ... 2749.l2649
Ray,

Yes it's a 40mm square bar. The hardware supplied with the WeMaco Stand for mounting the bar is 10mm based and so the bar must accommodate this oversized hardware, this Misumi bar is what I have and works well with the supplied hardware.

https://us.misumi-ec.com etc.

Best,

Admin edit RJL, for overly long URL
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

mawyatt wrote: ...
These Misumi bars are inexpensive (~$20) and very sturdy. If you decide this route with a longer bar I would consider tapping the center hole of the Misumi bar and drilling a hole in the base so a long bolt can come up thru the base bottom and into the center hole, this should add some additional stiffness to the setup. I'm going to do this when I get some free time.
The long bolt holding the post to the bottom is a great idea to improve stiffness. With the standard system the 3 right angle mounts give good support, but the bolt would really lock them together well.

Edited to add: blades, IMO the only solution you'll find stiffer than the WeMacro (especially with added bolt) would be a full-custom build with granite/composite base and aluminum plates. Personally I'm obsessed with eliminating any source of flex in my systems, so my most recent stands are built this way. Problem is it requires drilling of the composite material, and drilling and tapping 1/4" and/or 3/8" aluminum materials. You can source the aluminum in precut sizes so you don't need to cut, but you do need to drill and tap.

JKT

Post by JKT »

blades wrote:I looked at the Kaiser RS2 but found it a little flimsy for my needs.
Why not R1 system? Those are pretty stable - at least mine is. I skipped R2 as too flimsy too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic