Leica HR 4x/0.45 Objective On Ebay How is That Even Possible

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:I know, I wish I had your Mag.x. But that Optem 60x HR is a real piece of garbage for our purposes. To be fair, there is a warning in the Qioptiq catalog that these objectives aren't designed for ordinary microscopes.
I agree Lou but to be fair they do at least warn prospective buyers about the FOV, thats a big red flag:

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Robert,

that's my point exactly, each objective is made for a purpose/device to be used. I haven't seen Qioptiq claiming Optem HR objectives to be macrophoto lenses, intended for use with large sensors. I would not blame the manufacturer for the fact that they works poorly for our purposes.

Have you tried a Mitty HR? Now big is their "big" image circle? HR versions usually have significantly smaller image circle than "standard" models.
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Macrero wrote:Robert,

that's my point exactly, each objective is made for a purpose/device to be used. I haven't seen Qioptiq claiming Optem HR objectives to be macrophoto lenses. I would not blame the manufacturer for the fact that they works poorly for our purposes.

Have you tried a Mitty HR? Now big is their "big" image circle?

I don't have a Mity HR but I am working in that. Mitutoyo claims 33 or 34 mm image circle for the M Plan (I forget where I read that) and since they don't give any warning about the HR objective so it should be similar since it has to fit the Finescope's FOV.

Thats the question though, how big and how quick does it fall off.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, yes, that is the warning I was referring to. I shouldn't have blamed Qioptiq, but the fact remains that this is garbage for our purposes.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

It would be great if you manage to get a Mitty HR to test it. And it would be awesome if it has an image circle similar to the M/BD.

I just contacted Mitutoyo asking about the image circle of the HR series. Will let you know when they reply. Not the same as real life testing, but at least we can get an idea.
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:To get such a high NA for such low magnifications requires a large front element diameter. Also 80mm... hmmm.

This smells like marketing fluff.
To be fair, it actually says 4x on one side and 10x on the other. See this eBay listing where you can see it as part of an objective slider for one of Leica's fluorescence stereo scopes.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3247906132

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Macro_Cosmos wrote:To get such a high NA for such low magnifications requires a large front element diameter. Also 80mm... hmmm.

This smells like marketing fluff.
To be fair, it actually says 4x on one side and 10x on the other. See this eBay listing where you can see it as part of an objective slider for one of Leica's fluorescence stereo scopes.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3247906132
Interesting find. Its even labeled a 10x on the Leica box decal.

If thats the Ebay price Leica must be making a nice profit on a Optem objective. Reminds me of Linhof Schneider Componons in the past but those were supposedly hand selected lenses.

Robert

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I can't find Leica's asking price for the hr objective, but the fluocombi was around 3600 years back, and I think that does not include any objectives. Leica ain't cheap, and it isn't because their products last a long time and never have problems either.

Edit: it gets weirder. In an older manual for the Fluocombi III ( when it was used on the MZ series), they include the HR objective with the same part number, but label it as a 20x 'mitutoyo / optem'
Very odd.
(edit: they might mean, 'you can use our 20x hr, or an optem or mitutoyo objective. either way the 20x label is odd).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic