Diatoms and Radiolarians

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Robert Berdan

Diatoms and Radiolarians

Post by Robert Berdan »

Over Christmas I received a book "The Art and Science of Ernst Haeckel" printed by Taschen. This a a very large and heavy book with over 700 pages of Hackels' artwork many of them are of Diatoms, Radiolarians, Ciliates etc. It is one of the most beautiful books I have encountered. It inspired me to photographs some Diatoms and Radioliarians I have on prepared slides. I used my PlanAchromat 40X objective and focus stacked about 15 images for the top 6 images. In some instances I made montages of several individual photographs of the Diatoms and Radiolarians. These organisms are one of the most artful on the planet.

I used DIC and Darkfield microscopy, stacked the images in Photoshop. Top three pictures are of fresh water Diatoms and the bottom three photos are of Radiolarians. I chose specific Diatoms and arranged them in photoshop. A full wave plate creates the blue background with DIC though one can make almost any colour. There are some stacking artificats I need to clean up, but just wanted to share these beauties with you.

Happy New Year.

This last photo is a straight image I photographed about 40 years ago on film using Darkfield microscopy then scanned the image and processed it using photoshop.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

They are magnificent, especially the ones with black background. The one you did on film is amazing! In some respects I like it the best. How did you manage that without stacking?

Robert Berdan

Last image

Post by Robert Berdan »

Hi Lou - thank you for your comments. I took the last photograph with a 10X objective using an Olympus E microscope and an Olympus OM-1 35 mm camera on technical plan film. I think the lower magnification objective had sufficient depth of field.

I am waiting for some RAW Radiolarian samples from Germany and hope to take many more photos.

Cheers

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

piermicro

Post by piermicro »

Very nice.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Lovely set. The film one is particularly impressive given the medium!

Peter M. Macdonald

Post by Peter M. Macdonald »

Robert, these are lovely. I always like good darkfield pictures of radiolarian.

Are your samples from Germany coming from a commercial source?

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice

Robert Berdan

Thank you for your kind comments

Post by Robert Berdan »

Thanks for your comments. Peter you asked if the Diatoms are coming from a commercial source I am not sure. A few posts earlier in this forum I asked if any one knew were I could purchase some RAW Radiolarian samples and Hans Dieter replied he could send me some - see the section below with my question. If interested he might be able to supply you if interested. I ordered them before Christmas, but haven not received the samples yet, but I will make some slides and take some photos shortly after and post some photos.

I also ordered some Diatom raw samples on ebay.com that have not arrived yet. In the Spring I will collect and clean some local diatoms trying bleach, Hydrogen peroxide and acid. I have only photographed live Diatoms so far that I have collected near my home.

Cheers

Olympusman

Haekel

Post by Olympusman »

I have a book of Haekel's illustrations. He was fanciful, to say the least. The wikipedia on him is fascinating. The Nazis loved him because he argued in favor of eugenics.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I have a book of Haekel's illustrations. He was fanciful, to say the least
Yes, he is famous among the creationist anti-evolution crowd for his "enhancements" of his embryo drawings, which were often cited as evidence in favor of evolution. Creationists concluded that the evidence for evolution was fraudulent, produced by a conspiracy of atheist scientists. Of course today we have great photos that provide the same kind of evidence without fudging.
Last edited by Lou Jost on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Nice!!!

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Very nice photos!
Regards.
Omer

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Hi Rob,

Nice set, thanks for sharing. Haeckel is surely very inspiring.

santiago

Post by santiago »

Great images.
Santiago
Flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic