Long jumping leg of grasshoper (could hurt the sensitivity)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RDolz

Long jumping leg of grasshoper (could hurt the sensitivity)

Post by RDolz »

Hello everybody,

This summer I have enjoyed the company of several praying mantis in my garden. One of them lived in a frangipani (Plumeria rubra), hidden among the leaves waiting patiently for their prey.

Many times his food was other mantis, but sometimes he was lucky enough to catch a large grasshopper. In any case he used to devour his prey completely.

But one day at the foot of the frangipani I found a long jumping leg of grasshoper partially bitten by the mantis. I should have photographed it earlier because it has become very dehydrated. But what it is about is to show the Coolscan in telecentric mode ...

I photographed it with my Fuji X-T1 with a Coolscan 4000 ED lens in telecentric mode (with a diaphragm between Coolscan and Fuji). The camera is mounted, in vertical setup, on my XYZ cartesian robot. The lighting is made with 4 Ikea Janso Led lights.

A magnification of 2.12X, with a horizontal field off view of 11,1mm. A stack and stiching of 3x4x56 images, 56 images cover a depth of 5mm with an advance on the Z axis of 0.092mm.

The final image covers about 34x16x5mm, 15200x7300 pixels, 110.9 Megapixels. Full resolution (jpg):

https://www.easyzoom.com/imageaccess/bb ... 34c5d681f1

Stacking with Zerene (Pmax), without Scale Option. The stitching was done automatically with the PTGUI software. It does not have any subsequent geometric correction. I have not corrected the vignetting or any distortion in camera raw. Only histogram settings and a little detail.

As you can see, of the 12 possible images for the stitching (3X4) I have used (2 * 4) + 1 = 9, and of the 9x56 = 504 images of these stacks, I only used the ones that were in focus: 381 images.

Best regards. Ramón
Ramón Dolz

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Nice image, nicely lit. Where did you put the aperture?

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hi Lou, I do not have the exact measurement, but approximately 15mm from the back of the metal barrel of the Coolscan. An iris diameter of 6.25mm. Tomorrow I can give a more accurate value.
Ramón Dolz

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Today I have measured the position in which I place the iris. It is exactly 14mm from the back of the metal barrel.

In this position the working distance is 33mm and the distance from the object to the sensor is 195mm for a horizontal field of view of 11mm.

This lens behaves asymmetrically, and on the other side the position where the iris must be placed is 22mm.

Interestingly in the 22mm position, although the telecentricity is similar, the image quality is worse. Therefore I use the opening in the 14mm position.
Ramón Dolz

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's interesting, thanks very much for the information!

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Ramón,

Very nice image and great work!!! Hats off :D

Having the lens somewhat telecentric makes the stitching process go much better as you have shown, and PTgui is a much better stitching tool than PS IMO.

Is your XYZ system automated? I am curious about your overall system as I am in the process of creating my own experimental setup, attempting to fully automate the image capture process for Stack and Stitching.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

mawyatt wrote: Is your XYZ system automated? I am curious about your overall system as I am in the process of creating my own experimental setup, attempting to fully automate the image capture process for Stack and Stitching.
Hi Mike, thanks.

As you know, already explain my system in this link:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=38091

Yes, it is a fully automated system.

The software we develop (based on the Micropap drivers http://www.micropap.com/index.php/virtu ... 243-detail) allows us to define the coordinates (X, Y , Z) of beginning and end of the capture process, and, of course, the advance in the Z axis.

It also allows to define the percentage of overlap between images, that is, what will overlap the X and Y axes in the stitching process.

Once the coordinates are defined, I can also define the waiting time after each movement in order to avoid vibrations .... Start, wait ... if nothing fails and if I have enough memory on my SD card (256 Gb) ), after a few hours I have a few thousand images to fight with.

Best,
Ramón Dolz

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

wow, nice!

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

RDolz wrote:
mawyatt wrote: Is your XYZ system automated? I am curious about your overall system as I am in the process of creating my own experimental setup, attempting to fully automate the image capture process for Stack and Stitching.
Hi Mike, thanks.

As you know, already explain my system in this link:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=38091

Yes, it is a fully automated system.

The software we develop (based on the Micropap drivers http://www.micropap.com/index.php/virtu ... 243-detail) allows us to define the coordinates (X, Y , Z) of beginning and end of the capture process, and, of course, the advance in the Z axis.

It also allows to define the percentage of overlap between images, that is, what will overlap the X and Y axes in the stitching process.

Once the coordinates are defined, I can also define the waiting time after each movement in order to avoid vibrations .... Start, wait ... if nothing fails and if I have enough memory on my SD card (256 Gb) ), after a few hours I have a few thousand images to fight with.

Best,
Yes now I remember, thanks!! One of the side effects of getting old :roll:

Very nice setup and system, probably one of the best values for a fully integrated 3D system available.

I just received a 128GB SD card (waiting for the price to drop on 256GB), it's a slow card but should work since I use the write time to move the stages and wait for settling. The XQD and CF cards are way too expensive to consider now.

Finally have got my setup completed and soon I'll have some quality images, but other things come first.

Keep showing us your work with your setup, this image is quite good.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hi, Mike, thank you very much.

Congratulations, since you finally completed your setup. I'm looking forward to seeing the images you get with this system.

Without a doubt it is a great device and, thanks to your extensive knowledge of mechanics, electronics and software, you can evolve it to the point you want.

For those who do not know Mike's setup, here is his description:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... +precision

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... +precision

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... obot+setup

I now, after a long time developing the technique of stach + stitch, finally, I am more focused on the taking of images, their quality, lighting, .. the preparation of samples, ..., learning in that infinite world .

And of course I will continue to share my small contributions. :)

Best
Ramón Dolz

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

And of course I will continue to share my small contributions.
We look forward to it. Very inspiring.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic