Unknown Bug (to me) at 3.125x

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

Unknown Bug (to me) at 3.125x

Post by mjkzz »

Really have no idea what it is, found it at tip of grass leaf.

Sony A7III in electronic shutter and full frame mode

Open Focus Stacking Rail
2 LEDs continuous lights + globe diffuser
Mitutoyo 5x 0.14 + Raynox 250
Magnification is about 3.125x
Step size 15um
ISO 100, Shutter Speed = 1/20s
118 JPEG images
Zerene Stacking Software

6000x4000 Image
Last edited by mjkzz on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hi Peter: very good image and lighting.

As for the identification, could it be a curculionidae? Could you do a side photo?

Best
Ramón Dolz

Yawns

Re: Unknown Bug at 3.125x

Post by Yawns »

mjkzz wrote:Really have no idea what it is, found it at tip of grass leaf.
It's a Weevil -- Order Coleopetra, Family Curculionidae . I hope .. can't see the peculiar antena of the weevils

if you want to know about the Genus and Species it's key to know the location where it was found and look in local / regional databases (if they exist) .. with 6,800 genera and 83,000 species of weevils known and described (wikipedia) around the world the location of the finding is key ...

Even a relatively small country like Portugal (with a moderate clima) has more than 200 genera reported ...
Most of the times we should only keep in the Family Identification level, when trying to identify insects only with photo comparison ... the vast majority of "identifications" you see in the web .. Facebook, Flicker .. are wrong.
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

RDolz wrote:Hi Peter: very good image and lighting.

As for the identification, could it be a curculionidae? Could you do a side photo?

Best
Thanks. Here is a side view, I need to change lighting to make it more 3D like, now it is a just a blob :D

mjkzz

Re: Unknown Bug at 3.125x

Post by mjkzz »

Yawns wrote:
mjkzz wrote:Really have no idea what it is, found it at tip of grass leaf.
It's a Weevil -- Order Coleopetra, Family Curculionidae . I hope .. can't see the peculiar antena of the weevils

if you want to know about the Genus and Species it's key to know the location where it was found and look in local / regional databases (if they exist) .. with 6,800 genera and 83,000 species of weevils known and described (wikipedia) around the world the location of the finding is key ...

Even a relatively small country like Portugal (with a moderate clima) has more than 200 genera reported ...
Most of the times we should only keep in the Family Identification level, when trying to identify insects only with photo comparison ... the vast majority of "identifications" you see in the web .. Facebook, Flicker .. are wrong.
Thanks for all the info. I am not in this field, so I think I should not try ID something I do not know and label it as "Unknown to me".

kutilka

Post by kutilka »

Valgus seticollis (Scarabaeidae)?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/954296/bgimage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic