Jumping spider courtship

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Jumping spider courtship

Post by MarkSturtevant »

A while ago I had in hand a male and female bold jumping spider (Phidippus audax). So I thought to try to mate them. That did not happen, but there was courtship and it was interesting.
Here is the female and then the male.

This can be very dangerous for the male. When I was but a young lad I tried to mate this species, and the female outright murdered the male. So I first wanted to see how this one felt about a handsome suitor. I put her in a cage made with microscope cover slips. She seemed interested in a good way! Leg waving and not murderously pouncing is a good sign.

So I let her out (I was still pretty nervous though). Their interactions were very entertaining and endearing. Jumping spiders are simply a marvel!

But alas, his efforts were not satisfactory for whatever reason. She would always make for an exit after a few moments, and he would be left looking rather forlorn. I tried this several times with the same result.

I later released both of them after first giving them a good meal and wishing them luck.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic