THK KR15 cheap on eBay

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

viktor j nilsson wrote: I also found a perfect spacer between the top plate and the idler rail plate. An older, Danish 50 Öre coin that I had lying in a drawer. Sorry Ray, no time for coin images right now. :D
Ray, the quote above was understandably easy to miss in my stream-of-consciousness posts. I think that I've gotten it sufficiently flat now. Will bring out the vernier calipers later tonight to check more carefully, I could sand down the coin a little bit or shim it up with aluminum foil if need be. But it's much better now than in the picture above.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

viktor j nilsson wrote: Ray, the quote above was understandably easy to miss in my stream-of-consciousness posts. I think that I've gotten it sufficiently flat now. Will bring out the vernier calipers later tonight to check more carefully, I could sand down the coin a little bit or shim it up with aluminum foil if need be. But it's much better now than in the picture above.
Hah! I did miss that.

You can still use the procedure to see if the spacing is right. Loosen the screws on the idler rail, and tighten down the ones on the KR15. Then try slipping the coin/spacer between the top plate and idler rail. It should fit with small interference. Too tight or too loose and it will torque on the bearings.

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
viktor j nilsson wrote: Ray, the quote above was understandably easy to miss in my stream-of-consciousness posts. I think that I've gotten it sufficiently flat now. Will bring out the vernier calipers later tonight to check more carefully, I could sand down the coin a little bit or shim it up with aluminum foil if need be. But it's much better now than in the picture above.
Hah! I did miss that.

You can still use the procedure to see if the spacing is right. Loosen the screws on the idler rail, and tighten down the ones on the KR15. Then try slipping the coin/spacer between the top plate and idler rail. It should fit with small interference. Too tight or too loose and it will torque on the bearings.
This is what I did and I thought that I had found just the right coin which slipped in under the adapter plate nicely and snugly. However, it seems like I will need a slightly thicker spacer:

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

viktor j nilsson wrote:This is what I did and I thought that I had found just the right coin which slipped in under the adapter plate nicely and snugly. However, it seems like I will need a slightly thicker spacer:
You can't judge precision flatness via a photo. Too many variables of perspective and distortion and such. If you used the method I described, and the coin fit snugly without pushing up much on the upper plate, then you are there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic