Preventative mold maintenance

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Scarodactyl

Preventative mold maintenance

Post by Scarodactyl »

I recently picked up a complete B&L Zoom 240 scope on eBay, in case with all the accessories. Unfortunately it was apparently pretty damp in there and most of the component are at least partially (and many heavily) molded. However there were three pairs of really nice 15x uwf eyepieces, none of which seem to have significant molding--I assume they were built to a higher standard and sealed well. Anyway, I've gotten them out and dried (there was also significant condensation on everything in the box) but I want to be sure they won't mold in the future, since they've definitely been exposed. Is there a good way to clean them out? Would pumping a bunch of SWUV through them be OK? Or should I find an ozone chamber or something like that? These eyepieces are great and a bit of a rarity--a member here sold me a couple pairs and now I can't go back to normal WF.

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Fill a container or jar with halfway with DriRite, Silica gel beads, white rice or other desiccant. Place the eyepieces on top of the desiccant in an open bag or smaller container open to the air inside the jar. Close the main jar with a lid. It should suck the moisture out of the eyepieces.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic