Water drops

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Water drops

Post by Beatsy »

I recently bought a Pluto trigger for the phone-controlled intervalometer features. They also offer a simple solenoid valve for water-drop photography (1, 2 or 3 drops with millisecond-accurate release timing and flash trigger). As that was priced within impulse-buy limits, I decided to get one to tinker with - just out of curiosity more than anything else.

Here's a couple of results from my first 3-hours playing and a montage of interesting forms that cropped up when things went "wrong". All just plain water so far, but I'm experimenting with additives to thicken the water and change it's surface tension now. That makes a big difference but needs lots of trial and error to find the right "mixes". It's not a genre I meant to get serious about at all, but it has turned out to be rather more compelling than I expected! Oops!

All shot using flash with a Sony A7rii and 90mm macro lens.

Different shapes caused by "bad" flash timing and/or poor aim (when the 2nd drop doesn't quite hit the 1st rebounding one head on). To me, these were reminiscent of a cloaked lady, a heron, a turtle and water polo :)

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Steve,

Nice pictures!

I have already tried to take the photographs of the drops controlled by my macro-slat:
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 0&start=45
Only some relays had to be added.

Enclosed an example with an air bubble:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4208/354 ... 04c1_o.jpg

BR, ADi

Smokedaddy

Re: Water drops

Post by Smokedaddy »

Beatsy wrote:I recently bought a Pluto trigger for the phone-controlled intervalometer features. They also offer a simple solenoid valve for water-drop photography
Sweet more toys to purchase,

I've always wanted to try that, very cool, nice image as well. I know absolutely nothing about the Pluto trigger. Have you had any issues with it? I see that it comes from China. Just did a little reading a few minutes ago. Did they ever make a enclosure for the valve and circuit board or is it still velcro attached? Any problem with the wires breaking off?

Have you used any of the other features of the Pluto trigger? If so, just wondering your thoughts. I had a lightening trigger years ago that worked pretty good.

-JW:

Beatsy

Re: Water drops

Post by Beatsy »

Smokedaddy wrote:I know absolutely nothing about the Pluto trigger. Have you had any issues with it? I see that it comes from China. Just did a little reading a few minutes ago. Did they ever make a enclosure for the valve and circuit board or is it still velcro attached? Any problem with the wires breaking off?

Have you used any of the other features of the Pluto trigger? If so, just wondering your thoughts. I had a lightening trigger years ago that worked pretty good.
The trigger unit is fine, works really well for what I wanted. Also, the sound and laser triggers might come in useful for a few "creative" image projects, but I have nothing in mind yet. No lightning to test with - but I suspect the shutter lag of my A7rii might confound that. Will report back if I ever use it.

The valve is utter rubbish quality-wise. Everything you read/saw is true. Bare circuit board, sticky out wires and all that. I knew before I bought it, and only needed it to last for a quick play. I didn't want to spend time trying to build one - and that would have worked out more expensive in terms of time (and money) anyway. I'm handling it carefully and haven't hit any problems so far. It does what it says on the tin.

If you intend to get serious - I'd look elsewhere. A single nozzle is a bit limiting for timing of that second drop - anything less than 50 millisecond delay and the two drops merge (solenoid can't move quick enough). The 3rd drop is of very limited use, usually has to be timed for the second "bounce" of the previous two - so no "ballet dancer" shapes from this setup. Multi nozzle/solenoid systems would be better for that (and a darn sight more expensive). But for the little bit of dabbling I want to do - it's sufficient and I'm pleased with it.

Adalbert: love that bubble shot. I inadvertently got a couple of similar ones but wasn't using milk/colouring at the time - so they were of little note. Nice one.

grgh

Post by grgh »

Lovely shots, first one is favourite of the two.
like it even more for not having any colouring added.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Wonderful results! I too have played around with this. Many years ago, I bought a camera AXE system. Worked really well until the power chip died. The repair would have required removing the LCD display and then dealing with a very small surface mount chip. I see Marice is making a new AXE system but won't be available until next year some time, and is pricey.

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt038 Very nice.
Can't wait to see what you do next.
Thanks for sharing.

santiago

Post by santiago »

Nice images, I like the second one especially.
Santiago
Flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic