Two trunks of the western conifer seed bug

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

Two trunks of the western conifer seed bug

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everybody,
This time two trunks:
(M3 & LSA & Lu Plan 5x)
BR, ADi

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Adalbert, I think you may not have white-balanced that; it seems too blue. You might still be able to adjust that directly on the final stacked image.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Lou,
This American bug is a little bit blue :-)
BR, ADi

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Adalbert, I don't know how red, white, and blue this bug really is, but here is how it looks when the white balance is set to make the reflections neutral (I am making the assumption that the lights you use are white). Of course this could be way off, I don't know the bug myself....

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Regarding color, see http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 2048#92048 and the immediately following reply by eurythyrea.

This shot by Adalbert seems to be suffering from the chitin-looks-too-red problem pointed out by Beatsy at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37599 .

--Rik

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Lou,
This picture has been illuminated by the flash ( 4 * YN660 )
BR, ADi

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Rik,
Yes, it is the same bug:

BR, ADi

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Adalbert, what was the white balance set to? In all of these, everything seems to have a blue cast, including the presumably-black velvet or Protostar background, at least on my monitors. My monitors could be fooling me, I suppose.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Lou,
Histogram of LR 6.14
BR, ADi

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Adalbert, I can't interpret the histrogram, since that depends on the subject. I was just curious about the white balance settings of the camera, what was it set to?

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Lou,
In this case the settings of the camera haven’t played any role.
This picture has been taken in the RAW format.
And my workflow looks like follows:
first the parameters are changed by LR during the conversion from RAW into the TIFF,
then by PS during the final retouching of the stack.
BR, ADi

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

You still have to make a decision somewhere in the workflow about white balance. Often conversion programs have an "As shot" default, meaning that the white balance of the converted file is actually based on the selected white balance setting in the camera, though of course you can still change it later manually.

I strongly suspect that your camera is set to a white balance that is not appropriate for flash, and that your RAW converter is following that setting. If the background in the later pictures is Protostar or something similar, you can see it is too blue, as are the specular reflections.

You can check this by shooting a gray card with the same flash. If the image looks blue-gray instead of neutral gray, that's probably why.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Lou,
Thank you for the hint!
I will check it.
BR, ADi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic