Wemacro Time Interval?

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Wemacro Time Interval?

Post by Deanimator »

For those using the Wemacro rail, what time interval between exposures do you recommend, especially when using 4-10x objectives?

And while we're at it, what step size?

Thanks

hero

Post by hero »

Step size depends on the NA of the objective as described in this table:

https://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/d ... romicrodof

I have found that at the magnifications I work at, this table is good.

Time delay between exposures depends on the steadiness of the setup. I have a less steady setup but I also shoot at lower magnifications than you. My time delay is on the order of 3 seconds at my highest magnification. It matters less if you use flash.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

With the Wemacro Vertical Stand I've found that ~8 seconds using flash seems OK for up to 5X. This is arranged such that most of the time is allocated for vibrations to settle prior to exposure, not time for moving (I'm moving and writing the previous TIFF file at the same time). Generally go to a Horizontal Thor Labs based setup for higher magnifications, its more stable and still uses the same general timing. This setup is in the process of conversion for Vertical use as well, but don't think the timing will change.

DoF at 10X for NA of 0.28 is ~0.55/(NA^2) or ~ 7um, at 4X with NA of 0.1 it's 55um.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic