Dragonfly Rhionaeschna multicolor egg and nymph

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

Dragonfly Rhionaeschna multicolor egg and nymph

Post by svalley »

This summer I have started several new dragonfly embryo and early instar nymph development projects, continuing on from the project I started in the Fall of 2017. http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewt ... highlight=

This a ventral viewof a Rhionaeschna multicolor egg on day 13 after oviposition.

Nikon D810, 20x Mitutoyo mounted on a 200mm Micro-Nikkor, transmitted light from a single flash, 113 frame stack processed Zerene PMax.

Some of the identifiable features labeled.

On day 15 the eggs started to hatch. The 1st instar nymph goes through ecdysis (moulting) within a few minutes of hatching from the egg and leaves behind the exuviae, sometimes still attached to the empty egg.

Nikon D810, 10x Mitutoyo mounted on a 200mm Micro-Nikkor, transmitted light from a single flash, 83 frame stack processed Zerene PMax.

Some of the identifiable features labeled.

A ventral view of a 2nd instar nymph. Note the small tubercle with several spines on the sides of the head behind the eyes. There was a similar, but larger tubercle on the early instar nymphs of Aeshna palmata from my last project. Its function is unknown.

This is a stitched together composite of 2 stacks to show the whole body. Nikon D810, 20x Mitutoyo mounted on a 200mm Micro-Nikkor, transmitted light from a single flash, 170 and 175 frame stacks processed Zerene PMax.

A closer crop showing details of the prehensile labium. The maxillae can also be seen through the semi-transparent labium.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Troels

Post by Troels »

Very nice ind interesting.
Thanks for posting.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:smt038 Nice photos.
Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

A great sequence, exquisite detail. Thanks for posting!

LT

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic