Living creatures under reflected light microscope?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jesse

Living creatures under reflected light microscope?

Post by Jesse »

Looking at microscopes, I see that Epi microscopes come with quite high magnifications.

Curiously, I don't think I've ever seen living creatures under a reflected light microscope. Why is that? What does pod life look like under a reflected light microscope?

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

Jesse

Depth of field is very small, you get a much better view with a stereomicroscope.

Dark-ground reflected light works fine for biological specimens, apart from the minimal depth of field.

Bright-field reflected light with biological specimens can give very poor results with lots of flare. Adjusting a polariser and analyser can help a bit.

Alan Wood

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Alan Wood wrote:Jesse

Depth of field is very small, you get a much better view with a stereomicroscope.

Dark-ground reflected light works fine for biological specimens, apart from the minimal depth of field.

Bright-field reflected light with biological specimens can give very poor results with lots of flare. Adjusting a polariser and analyser can help a bit.

Alan Wood
Can you provide some example photos? I'm just horribly curious.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic