ProOptics 12K Line Scan Lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

ProOptics 12K Line Scan Lens

Post by mjkzz »

Ran into this lens at surplus shop, I was told it is a 12K line scan fixed focus lens made by Korean Prooptics. So I looked it up and found its specs:

http://www.prooptics.co.kr/AF12k1_25x.html

According to the spec, it has M44x1 thread at the end of it, so I had to order a custom part, converting M44x1 to M52x0.75, then I used a M42-to-M52 filter ring adapter then mount it on some extension tubes to make it at 1.29X.

Test setup is as below: 3 degrees of freedom (roll, tilt, and yaw) on the subject and one degree of freedom on the camera (forward and backward).

With some tinkering with those 4 degrees of freedom, I got a picture as close I can. I think the "fuzziness" in the picture is due to bad printing, rather than focus. So maybe Robert's silicon wafer is good test here as the etchings are razor sharp.

I think it is pretty good corner to corner (except vignetting pointed by arrow, probably caused by my tubing -- in the spec it says CCD size of 86mm).

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

100% crop of the grid, almost no distortion, though I wish the printing of the scale is sharper . . .

corners

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Nice find! I'd use it in reverse at ~0.75x to image Cents. Perfect focal length. Any way to mount it in reverse?

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

I think so, the front has M38x0.5 thread (guessed), so reverse mounting it is possible if you can get an adapter for it.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

still at 1.29X, some kind of coin. full image in TIFF format

some details 100% crop

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

How long is the total package (from camera mount to front of lens)? Do you think it would push to higher mag? The coin closeup looks really sharp, which implies it might.

That looks a really nice find. Congrats.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

thanks, the length of the lens is 72mm and total extension is about 129mm for the Sony A7III to get 1.29X magnification. I think it is pretty sharp, I just need to find something to shoot with :D

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Nice, now you just need a 3/2 96MP sensor to keep up with this lens :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

mawyatt wrote:Nice, now you just need a 3/2 96MP sensor to keep up with this lens :D

Best,
Hahaha, but how did you get those figures? 3/2 and 96MP?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

3/2 ratio @ 12k pixels per line. So 12K by 8K , or 96MP :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

oh, thanks Mike, I was confused by 3/2, I thought you meant 3/2 inch sensor. I think only a medium format camera can do 96MP.

I need to stop reading stuff here, after reading these line scan lenses, all the sudden I see there are 3 shops selling lenses like this one, I normally just go pass them :D

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

A little geometry and algebra will yield a 3/2 ratio medium format sensor of ~40.77mm by ~27.18mm with 3.398 micron square pixels which will fit Nikon's new Z mount (49mm diagonal) will give ~96MP.

This is certainly within the reach of modern sensor technology, and I'm betting we'll see a Nikon medium format sensor camera based upon the new Z mount in the coming years, maybe not 96MP for starters but possibly ~58.56MP with D850 size pixels (4.35um).

Best,
~Mike

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

added an aperture assembly, now it is at f/6.3 (one stop below its fixed aperture).

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

This is for a very large sensor, 83mm across, with 7um pixel size. It isn't designed for small pixels or high-megapixel normal-sized sensors. That's why it has a relatively slow aperture.

A 35mm sensor that would match the design specification should be about 5000 pixels across. In other words, your Sony sensor is outresolving the lens.

Still, nice results!

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

The Sony A7 III has 6um pixel (6000x4000), so compared to 7um resolving power, sure.

Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic