Firefly

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Firefly

Post by Olympusman »

Photinus genus firefly

I actually like the pin for scale.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Interesting critter. But only you know how big the pin is! And as an aside, that has to be the bluntest pin I ever saw :)

I went through lots of options searching for decent, sharp pins in the past. It's surprising how tough the carapace of flies and the like can be when they're still fresh (out of the freezer). If you're not careful, trying to push a pin in can often crush the critter quite a bit before the point penetrates, risking damage to other parts of the insect in the process. I settled on black entomology pins in the end (expensive for what they are - but the best solution I found). I still find it best to sharpen them further before use though. Just a few gentle rubs on a 20,000 grit waterstone does the job. They practically glide in after that.

Olympusman

Blunt pin

Post by Olympusman »

I have a number of pins glued to different thicknesses and lengths of pipe cleaner That I glue to insect. One the stacking photography is done, I might harvest the specimens for wings, legs, etc. That means later I shave the carcass of the pin for reuse, the pins get blunted.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic