Moth larva hiding tube

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

Moth larva hiding tube

Post by BugEZ »

Coleophora moth larva roll tubes from leaf clippings as temporary lodgings. I am not sure if this one was occupied or abandoned. I watched it for several weeks after I discovered it on my crabapple tree. The stereo helps show the overall shape.

I used my scanner lens for this. Pentax K-01 mirrorless camera, Led lighting, 60 and 40 images stacked with a PMAX DMAP blend.

Imagesecond image stereo by Keith Short, on Flickr

Imagefirst stereo image by Keith Short, on Flickr
This iimage taken several weeks ago shows the snippet of leaf that formed the tube.

Image :wink:

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Nice shots and interesting. I've seen a few of those in the garden too. You caught me out with the stereos! Crosseyed, crosseyed, crossse... oops - last one not stereo. But I spent a few seconds trying to make it so :)

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Nice. Do you use the pixel shift mode on the K1?

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Beatsy wrote
oops - last one not stereo.
Yes a bit of confusion there. I have the same problem when I make PowerPoints collecting images of an individual bug.

Lou Jost wrote
Do you use the pixel shift mode on the K1?
Big difference between Pentax "K1" which is the new full frame Pentax and the "K-01" which is an older camera (same vintage as Pentax K5) APS-C sensor camera. No pixel shift.

I don't need any more bits! the images process slowly enough with 16 Mb images (K-01). A 36Mb image (K1) would slow things down even more.

One last image of the larva tube before I put it in a specimen cup and see if a moth eventually emerges...

This one got stacked a bit deeper so the background is captured. 102 images. I love the resolution of the Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 lens. I will look for a more interesting subject for my next posting.

Imagethird image stereo by Keith Short, on Flickr

Keith

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

For some reason the "mirrorless" part didn't register in my brain when I read your first post. That should have been a clue that the K-01 and the K-1 are different.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

This last cross eye stereo pair is the first image ever that I have managed to "see" and this is really awesome pair! I have to keep trying with my eyes, they don't like it a bit and my head also aches a bit if I try too hard. Also I have to have well rested eyes to even try.
- Rane

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

rolsen wrote
This last cross eye stereo pair is the first that I have managed to see...
There is great variability in our ability to perceive the 3D from stereo pairs. Luckily my brain and eyes “snap in” readily to cross-eye or wall eye presentations. On the down side I can’t judge the difficulty that others may have with a particular pair as they are all very functional for me.

I posted some images with borders of a nice long legged fly. You might want to see if the borders help.

They are linked here...

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 249#234249

Keith

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic