Evangelical Weevil :) - corrected cross-eyed stereo added

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Evangelical Weevil :) - corrected cross-eyed stereo added

Post by Beatsy »

A 20mm deep stack with 100 micron spacing using a Linoscan scanner lens @ 1.4x on full frame. I placed a small photograph of flowers behind the weevil as a backdrop (at capture time, not composited). That, along with the very deep stack caused a couple of unexpected snags - but I'll discuss those in techniques (later).

The stereo is assembled from images straight out of Zerene PMax (no retouch and only minor exposure adjustments in post). Another stereo I can't see in 3d :(

Edit: thanks for heads up on the stereo being the wrong way round for cross-eyed. Here's a swapped version. Added a white bar down the middle to help with frame registration - but I still don't get proper 3d from this one either. But maybe a slight impression of it this time.
Last edited by Beatsy on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

Outstanding photo, Great composition & title. Must be a really large weevil.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

naturepics43 wrote:Outstanding photo, Great composition & title. Must be a really large weevil.
Thanks. Yes, as Donald would say, "it's y-u-u-u-u-ge". It's the one pictured in this thread (near the end)...

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37428

...and was stacked with the kit set up as pictured there too.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Beats,

Another superb image :smt038

You keep rubbing that Linoscan scanner lens in :P

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Another stereo I can't see in 3d :(
You posted a parallel stereo while the "standard" here seems to be cross eye stereo.
(because I can't see cross eye I convert them to parallel with StereoPoto Maker to see with mirror glasses and it works as posted but not once inverted)
Pau

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks for the comments all - and for the heads up on the cross-eyed stereo being wrong. I've added a corrected version but left the original for the "cross-eye-challenged" :)

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

mawyatt wrote:You keep rubbing that Linoscan scanner lens in :P
When you get a new hammer, every problem is a nail (for a while) :D

Troels

Post by Troels »

Outstanding pictures of an amazing animal.
The stereo jumps in your face.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

JH

Post by JH »

Nice stereo, the first picture is very good!
Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

Olympusman

Evangelical

Post by Olympusman »

Crazy nice stuff, man. That last 3D was mind blowing. Are you gelling light sources?

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

dolmadis

Re: Evangelical

Post by dolmadis »

Olympusman wrote:Are you gelling light sources? Mike
You have me confused with this term and I look forward to learning.........

Beatsy

Re: Evangelical

Post by Beatsy »

Olympusman wrote:Crazy nice stuff, man. That last 3D was mind blowing. Are you gelling light sources?

Mike
Thanks Mike,

no gels (coloured acetate) over the light sources. Just white balancing as close as possible in camera during capture, then final colour correction in Capture One 11. Lighting was warm-ish Janso style lamps through a diffuser that added more warmth of it's own too (cut blues).

Cheers
Beats

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Pau wrote:
Another stereo I can't see in 3d :(
You posted a parallel stereo while the "standard" here seems to be cross eye stereo.
(because I can't see cross eye I convert them to parallel with StereoPoto Maker to see with mirror glasses and it works as posted but not once inverted)
I can see the parallel strereo images ok if the pics are small enough. About 20y ago they were easy to see but now my eyesight has gotten worse and it is bit of a struggle every time. But, yesterday was the day I managed to properly see cross eye stereo pic first time in my life and it really was like whoaaa. Anyways, I got minor headache after the success and in the evening I tried hard to get this latter stereo to pop but nada, njet, no way. Only sore eyes and again my head ached. Now when I've rested I managed with the latter pair in this page, it is very nice. But again, my eyes didn't like it much. Perhaps it is just a training issue, have to keep working with it.
- Rane

Troels

Post by Troels »

Rolsen,
You will soon realize, that many cross eyed stereo pictures are easier to grasp than this.
I also had to struggle to get it right first time. Some pictures are easier than other.

I guess it has something to do with both the great with of the combined picture and the extraordinary composition where similar appendages must be focused at opposite ends of the depth scale.

But when you get it: Wow!
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

rolsen wrote:But again, my eyes didn't like it much. Perhaps it is just a training issue, have to keep working with it.
Definitely a training issue. My eyes drove me nuts for a while when I first learned the technique, almost 40 years ago. Now it is so simple and natural that I have to confirm with my opthalmologist exactly what test she's running, lest I end up fusing some intentional misalignment and messing up the results.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic