Some kind of fly?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Beatsy wrote:Super clean - very nice. Still can't get over how well that battered mitty works :)
If I were in UK, I would send it to you :D

The 10x used here also has flaws -- its coating is scratched.

Last edited by mjkzz on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

rjlittlefield wrote:
mjkzz wrote:I am missing something. One does not have to do both DMap and PMax to do retouch. I retouched the antenna + eye part, particularly the right antenna. What I did was to do a full PMax (1 whole hour) and the two antennas by selecting all input files only for the antenna part, then painted over the "transparent" part of antennas.
Perhaps some of the context and motivation was not clear.

You're correct that it is not required to run both DMap and PMax. You can run either one, skip the other, then retouch just from original source or from some stack-selected intermediate output, as you did.

However, I generally recommend that people go the route of DMap+PMax because DMap is more faithful to color, contrast, and noise, while PMax is better for retaining detail with complex geometry, and going clear back to original source is tedious with deep stacks.

So in my experience the least-effort path to best possible results is to do what is shown in the tutorial: run both DMap and PMax, then start with DMap, retouch mostly from PMax where DMap messed up, then go clear back to original source only where PMax messed up also.

For the special case of "transparent foreground" artifact, some time may be saved by using the trick described in the tutorial "Using Stack Selected to Retouch Transparent Foreground". I'm guessing that's what you're describing by "selecting all input files only for the antenna part".
This feature is so powerful!
Thanks. Retouching is a big part of getting best possible results. That's why a good retouching capability is provided in every edition of Zerene Stacker, no matter what price point.

--Rik
What I meant to say is that, the DMap keeps coming up everywhere I read, in slabbing posts, etc. So initially, I thought it must have some hidden magic to get rid of the foreground and background issue as its name implies "depth". I actually started both a few times and canceled it. Eventually, I realized that the retouch process is nothing but using one image to paint over the other with one important condition -- alignment info (matrix) must be kept intact so that any retouch change will be consistent with stacking process. I take it the same for slabbing which I plan to do yet another slabbing app.

I forgot to capture the "selected {Pmax)" using SnagIt, but I captrued the retouch part. Here is the retouch video

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

mawyatt wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:
mjkzz wrote:I am missing something. One does not have to do both DMap and PMax to do retouch. I retouched the antenna + eye part, particularly the right antenna. What I did was to do a full PMax (1 whole hour) and the two antennas by selecting all input files only for the antenna part, then painted over the "transparent" part of antennas.
Perhaps some of the context and motivation was not clear.

You're correct that it is not required to run both DMap and PMax. You can run either one, skip the other, then retouch just from original source or from some stack-selected intermediate output, as you did.

However, I generally recommend that people go the route of DMap+PMax because DMap is more faithful to color, contrast, and noise, while PMax is better for retaining detail with complex geometry, and going clear back to original source is tedious with deep stacks.

So in my experience the least-effort path to best possible results is to do what is shown in the tutorial: run both DMap and PMax, then start with DMap, retouch mostly from PMax where DMap messed up, then go clear back to original source only where PMax messed up also.

For the special case of "transparent foreground" artifact, some time may be saved by using the trick described in the tutorial "Using Stack Selected to Retouch Transparent Foreground". I'm guessing that's what you're describing by "selecting all input files only for the antenna part".
This feature is so powerful!
Thanks. Retouching is a big part of getting best possible results. That's why a good retouching capability is provided in every edition of Zerene Stacker, no matter what price point.

--Rik
Peter, Rik,

Interesting useful feature/technique "Using Stack Selected to Retouch Transparent Foreground" I was unaware of :shock:

Guess I need to read the tutorials again :roll:

Best,
Mike, it is so easy once you figured it out. Please check out the video in my reply to Rik.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Beatsy wrote:
mawyatt wrote:...Interesting useful feature/technique "Using Stack Selected to Retouch Transparent Foreground" I was unaware of :shock:
Don't worry. I only discovered the "Use all color channels in decisions" checkbox (for PMax) a couple of weeks ago. Haven't suffered a "problem stack" since (and I've done quite a few more than usual). Happiness :)
I was about to self promote myself to "intermediate" level Zerene Stack user, now that "Use all color channels in decisions" thingy knocks me back down to entry level user. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic