HDMI Field Monitors

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

HDMI Field Monitors

Post by Deanimator »

Since I've built a vertical mount, I've started to run into composition and focusing issues.

The viewfinder is out of the way and no longer usable.

The LCD screen is usable, but at an awkward angle.

I use a tablet to control the Wemacro.

Before getting the Wemacro, I used DSLR Controller for focus stacking. It's also usable as a monitor in conjunction with the tablet.

Using DSLR Contoller and the Wemacro software simultaneously would be impossible(?).

Does anyone use an HDMI monitor for studio macro? If so, what's a reasonably priced unit suitable for the purpose?

I just need a bigger display than the one on the camera which I can use for composition and focusing.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

What camera do you use?
I have working the Wemacro controller running together with EOS utility with live live view at the same Windows computer.
Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:What camera do you use?
I have working the Wemacro controller running together with EOS utility with live live view at the same Windows computer.
I'm using a Canon T4i.

I don't have a Windows laptop and most of the camera tethering apps I've seen don't support 32bit Linux.

dickb

Post by dickb »

The first thing to try might be just connecting your HDMI computer monitor to your camera, to check whether HDMI out and the WeMacro app function well together. If you only need the monitor for studio work maybe a regular large computer monitor would work well for you.

I use a 7 inch Neewer (AKA Feelworld) NW 760 field monitor for use in the field. That works well, but if I were to buy one now I would get a newer 5 inch model to get a more compact setup. Abelcine A6 seems like a nice model.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Another option is the Aputure line, which Beatsy showed us some time back in a thread about this. I bought one based on his recommendation and like it very much.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

dickb wrote:The first thing to try might be just connecting your HDMI computer monitor to your camera, to check whether HDMI out and the WeMacro app function well together. If you only need the monitor for studio work maybe a regular large computer monitor would work well for you.

I use a 7 inch Neewer (AKA Feelworld) NW 760 field monitor for use in the field. That works well, but if I were to buy one now I would get a newer 5 inch model to get a more compact setup. Abelcine A6 seems like a nice model.
Unfortunately, I only have monitors with DVI, Display Port and SVGA connectors. :(

dickb

Post by dickb »

Deanimator wrote:Unfortunately, I only have monitors with DVI, Display Port and SVGA connectors. :(
Isn't DVI and HDMI essentially the same signal? There are adapters between those for just a few dollars IIRC. Or get a cable with (mini) HDMI to DVI connectors. Just a thought.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

dickb wrote:
Deanimator wrote:Unfortunately, I only have monitors with DVI, Display Port and SVGA connectors. :(
Isn't DVI and HDMI essentially the same signal? There are adapters between those for just a few dollars IIRC. Or get a cable with (mini) HDMI to DVI connectors. Just a thought.
After posting that, I found out that there are adapters.

I just bought a larger Samsung 10.1" tablet which I can use to run DSLRController in live view mode, leaving the 8" ASUS for the Wemacro software over Blue Tooth (which strangely works MUCH better than USB).

I'll still probably look into using my DVI monitor as well. I stopped at OfficeMax on the way into work, but they didn't have the cabling necessary, and didn't have the tablet they showed for sale in the bargain. Their loss was Amazon's gain...

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I've got an DVI to HDMI cable and HDMI to mini DVI adapter coming tomorrow, along with the 10.1 tablet.

If the camera will actually communicate with the 27"(?) monitor I've got lying around, that'll be great. Otherwise, I'll just use the larger tablet with DSLRController for focusing.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

dickb wrote:The first thing to try might be just connecting your HDMI computer monitor to your camera, to check whether HDMI out and the WeMacro app function well together. If you only need the monitor for studio work maybe a regular large computer monitor would work well for you.
I had to jump through some hoops, but that worked great!

Thanks.

I'll use the Samsung tablet for field work on a tripod.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Glad to hear your hoop jumping worked out in the end.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

dickb wrote:Glad to hear your hoop jumping worked out in the end.
It's amazing seeing a gnat, smaller than an uncooked grain of rice, blown up to the size of a bald eagle.

I'm doing an 800+ stack of one of the gnats. It's wonderful to actually be able to focus accurately.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic