Scitex 342L scanner for free (with one little condition...)

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Scitex 342L scanner for free (with one little condition...)

Post by Lou Jost »

I just bought two very high end but very old Scitex 342L scanners from a guy in Philadelphia. Price was absurdly low, but there was one catch- local pick-up only. Good thing too, because they weigh 100lbs+.

So if there is anyone in the Philadelphia area who would like one of these scanners (each of which has about seven good Rodenstock lenses in it), all you have to do is pick them up from this guy and send me the lenses from one of the two scanners (I think they are identical). You can keep the lenses from the other scanner, and the old Mac computers that are included with each one, and everything else that goes with them.

I am still waiting to hear from this guy about whether perhaps he himself could remove the lenses and send them to me. So don't pack your bags quite yet....but this could be interesting for someone who lives close to him.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

One website says these are some of the 7 lenses in this scanner (entry by SURF, who recently posted also on this forum):

"Rogonar-S 5.6/60 for scanning A3, A4, 8x10". Optical magnification 0.111.
Scitex S-3 4.9/67 for scanning 4x5". Optical magnification 0.215.
Scitex S-3 5.0/89 for scanning 6x6cm, 6x7cm, 6x9cm. Optical magnification 0.376.
Scitex S-3 5.0/110 for scanning 35mm. Optical magnification 0.726.
Rodagon 5.6/80 for scanning 10cm stripes LW. Optical magnification 0.346."

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... nses/page7

Each of these can be reversed for the reciprocal magnification.

See Robert O'Toole's site for some info on what these scanners look like:
https://www.closeuphotography.com/scite ... er-lenses/

More info here, measured resolution estimated 5800-6000 dpi
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... iitex+342L

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The owner has now kindly offered to take the lenses out for me. I won't need two sets, so I'll offer the extra ones here when I have them.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

That is very thoughtful of you Lou.

BR

John

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I bought a 320 recently - the only difference from the 340 is speed, according to the manual.
Mine had 4 lenses,

Maybe the guy in the other forum was quoting a range of scanners.

Rogonar-S 5.6/60
Scitex S-3 4.9/67
Scitex S-3 5.0/89
Scitex S-3 5.0/110
It's not at all obvious how to get to the lenses. You'd go down from the glass for quickest access. Opening lid comes off first. A lot of screws.

I believe the manual says 100kg, not 100lb - difficult to move.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

No Chris, the guy said that the L versions like the 342L do have seven lenses each.

How thick is the glass? Sounds like this needs to be taken into account when using these lenses for our purposes.

The owner is getting cold feet about dis-assembling them. I wonder if there is anyone in the Philadelphia area who would like those lenses and take my deal, in case the owner chickens out?

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I wish I could help, those types of scanners have many interesting salvageable parts too that can be utilised for our purposes. It's not just the lenses. :D

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

My manual has "320/340(L)/342(L)" on the cover. The only distinction I found inside was speed, in the specs section. The pages in mine are printed "320". But it doesn't mention how many lenses there are!

It says 'ere: 8000ppi
35mm slides, 6x6cm, 6x7cm,5" x 4",8"x10", A3, A4,Slides to 434 x 300mm.

The inst/maint manual has a description on how to remove the top glass for cleaning, it it helps. It can't be far between that and the lenses, which once found come out easily. That does NOT require removal of the liftable part, it seems.
I was hampered because the machine took up most of the space it sat in, so I couldn't get round it. I dismantled it from one end. It's a mix of imperial and metric fixings.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'd seen somewhere that there are 4 lenses in the lower-tier models (confirmed by many sources) and an additional three lenses in the L models.

Good to know about the removability of the glass. What was its thickness?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The piece I dumped in the garage (with stepper motors, acme screws, power supplies, for when I'm ready to dump the lot) was ordinary - about 6mm.

On the front of the thing there's a tri-lobed flat object held with a central screw. That's the "screwdriver" for large screws topside, which look like old style battery containers for undoing with a coin. Those release the glass for cleaning.

He may have to remove the upper glass first, which is held by a spring clip at the front, then it's removable from the hinge.

I dimly remember grabbing hold of and twisting the acme thread - about 16mm diameter, to move a carriage out of the way. 7 lens versions would differ. Seems a bit extravagant! One of the 4 (the 60mm) is a lesser thing, perhaps only for sighting.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks, I will pass that on to him.

I guess since these things cost as much as an auto, they can afford to put a few more lenses in them...

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yep, 7 lenses at least!
This should help 340L
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbTdXRXDCEY

The 3 on the left (one's an 80/f4) look like enlarger style, with apertures, as does 1? on the right.

Hmm, wonder what they do.
Chris R

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I see various stepper motors and at least one nice linear rail in there, pretty long one indeed. That would be nice for my setup, allowing coarse positioning of the specimens. Also since I'm from a electrical background, pulling things apart is always a joy.

None exists in Australia I would guess, so no deals for me.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Wish I could do something with this. I think the mirror must be a giant front-surface mirror, and I suppose the glass plate must actually be a giant sheet of optical glass. All this stuff is probably very high-end considering the cost of the thing. The video says $55000 each in today's dollars, so that's $110,000 of stuff.

Nobody in Philly wants to take me up on the offer to salvage these in return for half the goods?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou Jost wrote:Wish I could do something with this. I think the mirror must be a giant front-surface mirror, and I suppose the glass plate must actually be a giant sheet of optical glass. All this stuff is probably very high-end considering the cost of the thing. The video says $55000 each in today's dollars, so that's $110,000 of stuff.

Nobody in Philly wants to take me up on the offer to salvage these in return for half the goods?
Lou,

I would but I don't live in Philly!!

Hope someone steps up to help out!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic