Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art Lens for Sony E

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Saul

Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art Lens for Sony E

Post by Saul »

Very pleased seeing the price, waiting for the Nikon version ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... macro.html
Saul
μ-stuff

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

This is exciting! I'm eager for Robert O'Toole's report once he gets this.

One bad thing about the recent Sigma Art lenses for Nikon mount is their fully electronic apertures; they don't even have a stop-down lever inside the mount. They can't be stopped down at all when used in reverse, or when used on MFT bodies.

Edited to add: Darn, they've gone to Focus-by-wire, which makes it impossible to use the correct focus setting when used in reverse.

Edited again to add from Sigma literature "Photography enthusiasts will recall a certain legendary, razor-sharp macro lens -- the SIGMA MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG -- and be glad to learn it is available in a new form, updated with outstanding Art line quality."

They say it extends when focused, just like the old 70mm. Maybe it is not too different from that excellent lens. If so, for many of us, the all-manual old version might be better. Or the 65mm all-manual Cosina.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

There will be no Nikon version, that thing uses a stepper motor, focus by wire (AF-P). Sigma hasn't cracked the nikon codes yet.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Ah, of course that also means it can't be used on MFT cameras.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:This is exciting! I'm eager for Robert O'Toole's report once he gets this.

One bad thing about the recent Sigma Art lenses for Nikon mount is their fully electronic apertures; they don't even have a stop-down lever inside the mount. They can't be stopped down at all when used in reverse, or when used on MFT bodies.

There is one around this

Edited to add: Darn, they've gone to Focus-by-wire, which makes it impossible to use the correct focus setting when used in reverse.

Edited again to add from Sigma literature "Photography enthusiasts will recall a certain legendary, razor-sharp macro lens -- the SIGMA MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG -- and be glad to learn it is available in a new form, updated with outstanding Art line quality."

They say it extends when focused, just like the old 70mm. Maybe it is not too different from that excellent lens. If so, for many of us, the all-manual old version might be better. Or the 65mm all-manual Cosina.
Hi Lou,

I do plan to get one and I will create a thread once I get it. I have the old Sigma 70 and the Voigtländer 65 standing by to shoot with it.

The old Sigma 70 was discontinued due the glass going out of production. The new green glass types are a lot more limiting for designers due to the severely limited types now available compared to the old lead glass but thankfully newer CNC technology and faster computers does make it possible to exceed the old designs even though the new glass is not as good generally speaking. The problem is that the available glass types are limited because, I was told, that there are only 3 main glass suppliers in the world now that all the manufacturers use.

Also don't forget there is no stabilization in the new Sigma 70 lens, which I think is great ( less complex and a better value without OS).

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I thought you might. For me the focus-by-wire and aperture-by-wire are deal killers though. My cameras can't do that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic