A violet at 1.3x

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

A violet at 1.3x

Post by Beatsy »

Still getting familiar (aka playing around) with the Minolta Dimage F-2400 scanner lens, this time at 1.3x. Stack of 140 images, full frame (42 megapixels), pmax stack with no retouching. FoV at 1.3x is 28mm but I lost 6mm or so to the edge streakies caused by scaling (14mm deep stack, 100 micron steps). So the final, cropped FoV is about 22mm.

The resolution is astonishing! Were this a decent composition rather than yet another test stack, it really would stand printing huge! I included a couple of 100% crops from the original to show the detail at pixel level. Wow!

Note: the background is a another new thing I tried out too. Alcohol inks on Yupo paper (the end result just placed a good distance behind the subject to blur it into oblivion). Beware though! Randomly splotting coloured inks and alcohol around is rather compelling and quite a lot of fun. I burned 3 hours (and a lot of ink) just playing with it :) Planning to try more realistic-looking "scenic backdrops" next. Plenty of examples on YouTube for those who are interested.

Saul

Post by Saul »

Very nice !
I have to try my Minolta scanner lens version on the lower magnification. I suspect that I used too many extension rings :( ...
Saul
μ-stuff

lothman

Post by lothman »

WOW
hopefully I`ll get my 2400 scanner soon :D - thanks for finding this little gem and sharing with us.

regards
Lothar

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's really nice! Looks clean and sharp.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks folks. Here's another set - same flower, different view, with a smidge less sharpening on export. Straight PMax with no retouching again. I increased the step size to 130 microns with no loss of quality or issues in stacking. A modest but welcome speed-up to the workflow.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Ah, that will tell us its nominal aperture....around f4 if that is the actual upper limit of the step size that doesn't cause degradation, from Rik's table:
http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/do ... romicrodof

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Lou Jost wrote:Ah, that will tell us its nominal aperture....around f4 if that is the actual upper limit of the step size that doesn't cause degradation, from Rik's table:
http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/do ... romicrodof
No, I don't think that's the step size limit, but I like to keep a lot of focus overlap between frames. Using the method Rik posted in my Dimage F-2400 thread in "equipment discussions", I got focal length to 35mm and (about) f/5.5

Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Very nice results, amazing detail !!
I do wonder: isn't the 'Yupo paper' too glossy to create unwanted reflections ?
Always looking at the bright side of life,
Kr, Rudi

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Rudi wrote:Very nice results, amazing detail !!
I do wonder: isn't the 'Yupo paper' too glossy to create unwanted reflections ?
Thanks. No, it's more of a "silk" or "satin" finish I'd say. Providing it's not angled to cause specular reflections from the lighting, I've had no problems with it. And it was about a foot behind the subject in this case.

Here's another. Same lens and light setup, different subject and backdrop (yupo+ink)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic